With over 80 years as an industrial technology leader, Kennametal Inc. delivers productivity to customers through materials science, tooling and wear-resistant solutions. Customers across aerospace, earthworks, energy, general engineering and transportation turn to Kennametal to help them manufacture with precision and efficiency. Every day approximately 9,000 employees are helping customers in more than 60 countries stay competitive. Kennametal generated nearly $1.9 billion in revenues in fiscal 2020. Learn more at www.kennametal.com. Follow @Kennametal: Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn and YouTube.
Research Scientist/Engineer – Materials Science & Engineering
At the forefront of advanced materials innovation for more than 83 years, Kennametal Inc. is a global industrial technology leader delivering productivity to customers through materials science, tooling and wear-resistant solutions. Customers across aerospace, earthworks, energy, general engineering and transportation turn to Kennametal to help them manufacture with precision and efficiency. Every day approximately 9000 employees are helping customers in more than 60 countries stay competitive. Kennametal generated nearly $1.9 billion in revenues in fiscal 2020. Learn more at www.kennametal.com.
Job Description – Requirements
Kennametal has several openings for experienced and entry level Ph.D. (preferred) or M.S. candidates in Material Science and Engineering, Chemical, Solid State or Physical Science and Engineering assignments in our research facility in the Pittsburgh, PA region. A graduate degree (M.S. or Ph.D.) and/or practical experience in one of the above field of studies will be given consideration for a commensurate title and assignment. Knowledge of physical metallurgy particularly in powdered metals / hard metal /metal alloys / industrial ceramics is strongly preferred. Knowledge about metal powder particle manipulation, application, surface science, chemical and physical vapor deposited coatings and polymer science are other fundamental areas of interest. Practical experience of manufacturing or lab-scale processing is a plus. Beneficial skills/experience would include project management, process modelling, thermodynamic modelling, statistical data analysis, powder formulation, characterization and binder system design.
This position works under the supervision of the Manager to develop new materials, processes and technology in the area of hard metal powder design, synthesis and application. The successful candidate must demonstrate effective verbal/written communications skills, excellent troubleshooting skills and an ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a team environment. Time management and prioritization skills are critical. Applicants should possess a desire to join an extended team of research and manufacturing colleagues in a fast-paced environment.
Job Description – Tasks
- Establish subject matter expertise for materials, processes and technologies for enterprise-wide support.
- Support product development, process development, intellectual property, quality, manufacturing and EHS through the development of hardmetal powder processes for a wide variety of product platforms.
- Direct a technical Competency Team in the standardization and deployment of cost-effective processes.
- Initiate, plan and implement technology, manufacturing and capital projects.
- Lead, implement and sustain local/global system improvements, including measurement system analyses to improve consistency and correlation of processes.
- From time to time, may be required to provide remote and on-site technical assistance to manufacturing.
- Establish a technical presence in the hardmetal community through industry association involvement and publications in relevant trade journals and conferences.
- Lead teams to resolution in the systematic use of data-driven analysis, decision making and validation.
- Author and maintain internal procedures and work instructions.
- Assist in vendor and material qualification, prepare functional specifications.
- Research, evaluate and develop new technologies, analytical techniques and processing methods.
- Travel up to 25%, depending on project activity.
As part of our core values, Kennametal is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all people. We are an Equal Opportunity employer