Requisition Number: 46576
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
At Corning, our growth is fueled by a commitment to innovation. We succeed through sustained investment in research & development, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges. We are a four-time National Medal of Technology winner thanks to our technology leadership and R&D environment, which attract and enable the best scientific minds in the world. This pipeline of talent has brought life-changing innovation to your fingertips for more than 160 years.
Scope of Position (i.e. projects involved with and role within group): The responsibilities of this position will include supporting various R&D projects by designing and implementing new test procedures and characterization capabilities in the Chemical Durability laboratory. The candidate will be involved in projects that require a fundamental understanding of glass corrosion and glass surface engineering. This position requires a detailed understanding of glass surface science and chemical durability concepts with an extensive practical knowledge of experimental design. Other expectations for this role include customer interactions, an ability to build an internal and external professional network, writing technical reports and contributing to intellectual property.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Acts as a technical expert in the Chemical Durability area
• Hands on approach (in the laboratory) to solve fundamental problems, and contribute to product development and process research
• Designs, builds, and or modifies instrumental equipment to complete a desired task
• Designs and executes experiments to solve problems or develop new processes or products
• Provides technical guidance to technicians within the group
• Uses rigorous processes and technical knowledge to build fundamental understanding
• Provides inputs and/or documents ideas and contributions in IDs, RTRs, NTRs as well as refereed publications
• Identifies and articulates problems as well as develops and executes approaches to solving them
• Provides day-to-day problem-solving support to Research, Development, and Manufacturing
• Makes technical presentations to customers and at conferences
• Functions as a team member or team leader on focused projects
Travel requirements (please note if international): 40-80 hrs/year
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 8 AM – 5 PM
Education and Experience (minimum required for consideration):
A M.S. or Ph.D. in Chemistry, Material Science or related field is required. Industrial research or Post-doctoral experience preferred, but not required
Required Skills (These are skills that candidates must possess):
Experimental design, set-up, execution and data analysis; strong communication skills, technical writing and oral presentational skills, advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office and Origin software.
Desired Skills (these are the skills that would be helpful for candidates to possess):
Glass corrosion background; surface engineering/characterization background; analytical chemistry knowledge and experience with a variety of materials characterization equipment; knowledge of statistics for experimenters as well as statistical software like Minitab or JMP; Six-Sigma training/certification.
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
• Works effectively across multiple disciplines in team-oriented environment.
• One-on-one communication skills
• Detail oriented
• Time Management
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.