Kinross is a Canadian-based gold mining company with mines, projects and offices in the United States, Brazil, Chile, Russia, Ghana and Mauritania, employing approximately 9,300 people worldwide. Our core purpose is to lead the world in generating value through responsible mining.
Kinross is represented in Russia by Kupol and Dvoinoye operations, and offices in Anadyr, Bilibino, Pevek, Magadan and Moscow.
Anadyr and Bilibino offices provide administrative support to Kinross’ operations in the northern region of Chukotka through interfacing with local and regional authorities, regulators and local communities. The Bilibino office also provides logistics support to the two Russia-based gold mines. Kupol and Dvoinoye high-grade gold and silver deposits are underground mines connected by a 100-kilometer all-season road built over the challenging tundra terrain. A critical role in logistics support for both Kupol and Dvoinoye is played by the company office in the port town of Pevek; this office is also responsible for interaction with port and customs authorities, and organizing delivery of received commodities to Kinross’ Kupol and Dvoinoye operations over the 400-kilometer (250-mile) winter road.
Magadan regional office team supports Kinross’ operations and projects in Russia through interaction with local, regional and state agencies and authorities, and cooperation with local communities. Moscow Representative Office is involved in active cooperation with the Russian governmental agencies, media, investment and industry associations by providing information on Kinross’ activities in Russia and assisting Russian authorities in creating a favorable foreign investment climate in the mining sector.
All offices ensure seamless activity of the company’s mine sites and maintain the social license to operate within the Chukotka Autonomous Okrug.
The Regional Finance Officer (RFO) acts as a strategic business partner to the Senior Vice President, Operations Russia and is an integral member of the regional management team.
The RFO provides leadership and guidance on all financial matters affecting the region, risks to the business and regional strategies, as well as providing guidance and oversight to IT. The role also liaises between Corporate and the region on Finance and IT matters.
To liaise as a between Corporate and the region on Supply Chain matters.
1. Strategic financial leader and advisor to the SVPO Russia.
- Provides leadership and guidance on all financial matters affecting the region, risks to the business, and regional strategies.
- Provides feedback on prevailing economic and business conditions and parameters in the region, including long-term commodity prices and costs guidance generated by Corporate, and is a leading contributor to the Strategic Business Plan
- Supports the regional financial budgeting, forecasting and planning processes, including the annual and life of mine operating and capital plans, consistent with Kinross’ business planning schedule and processes.
- Ensures transparency, timeliness, accuracy and auditability of financial reporting from the region in conjunction with the Regional Controllers / Finance Directors. Provides leadership and support to external auditing process, ensuring audits are completed effectively and efficiently. Communicates effectively with both external auditors and the corporate office, identifying any potential issues in a clear and concise manner.
- Develops systems and measures that appropriately assess the performance of the financial function in the region and reviews progress to ensure achievement of targets.
- Liaises with the Information Technology group to ensure financial accounting, planning and reporting systems meet requirements. Leverages standard Kinross business processes and systems.
- Oversees the regional treasury functions (i.e. debt structure, gold sales, hedging, and foreign exchange) under the direction of the Corporate Treasurer.
- Oversees implementation of tax functions (including tax accounting, tax government filings, tax planning and strategies) within the region under the support and guidance of the Vice President, Tax. Works effectively with the Hague office when required.
- Manages the region’s cash flow. Determines the financial requirements of regional business and ensures sufficient funds are available for operating purposes.
- Supports the evaluation and implementation of key financing and risk management initiatives. Oversees that the necessary controls are working effectively to safeguard the company assets.
- Prioritizes and sponsors key change management initiatives as agreed with the SVPO; assesses the organization’s readiness to engage in change efforts, and facilitates the design and execution of the change effort (including risk mitigation).
Job Responsibilities Continued
2. To lead and manage the Russian regional teams for Financial Accounting and Control for mines and projects, Business Performance Management, IT and Tax.
- Responsible for executing regional accounting, internal and external reporting and tax management.
- Oversees financial planning and analysis, general ledger and disbursement and project accounting.
- Provides financial information and analysis to support regional business decision making.
- Ensures appropriate internal accounting controls, standards and policies are developed and maintained.
- Addresses any financial and accounting issues in the region with the SVPO.
- Provides as-needed accounting and financial forecasting support on special projects at the mine.
- Ensures timely delivery of forecasts, budgets, and strategic plans of sufficient quality for all sites in the region.
- Evaluates proposed capital expenditures and helps direct capital allocation within the region, through participation in the Russian Regional Capital Committee.
- Recommends projects to be submitted to corporate and for inclusion in the regional budget. Provides strategic guidance, expertise, and support for capital budgeting and management activities throughout the region, including when required reviewing business justification for projects.
- Ensures that the company complies with tax laws, rules and regulations in each of the countries in the region. Implements tax strategies in the region, coordinating with and under the support and guidance of the Corporate Tax function. Oversees budgeting and reporting on General and Administrative expenses in the region.
- Supports the external auditors’ reporting review and audit. Participates in accounting and fiscal discussions with internal and external auditors.
- Gathers and communicates data required for insurance renewals.
- Manages and directs the IT function within the region through the Regional Director of IT.
- Provide regional leadership in the annual preparation and assessment of the regional 4PP.
3. Provide leadership to the regional financial team demonstrating the Kinross Values and Leadership Practices.
- Provides leadership and actively participates in the global Kinross finance function; supporting global initiatives and direction; sharing best practices.
- Identifies key performance objectives for the finance function and direct reports, monitors performance to objectives and provides ongoing feedback and coaching.
- Sets annual objectives with the SVPO.
- Builds the capabilities of the team to enhance the function’s ability to achieve financial and operating strategy.
- Ensures there is a comprehensive and effective succession management strategy in place for the function; identifies succession candidates, development requirements, and actively develops employees.
- Retains key talent in the regional finance team.
• University degree in finance or accounting
• Current accounting designation (e.g. CA, CPA or CMA) required or MBA degree
• 10 – 15+ years of related work experience
• Experience leading professionals and managers
• Experience in developing a strategic plan that positioned the business for growth
• Previous experience in the mining industry is preferred
• Previous experience leading overall business processes within an organization
- Strong people leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Fluency in the Russian languages and understanding of the Russian culture is a decided advantage