Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
This position will be based out of our Philadelphia office, or could also be based out of our offices located in Wilmington, DE, and Baltimore or Perryville, MD.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES: The Project Manager is responsible for managing moderate complexity engineering construction projects or a medium size component of a larger project or program. Individuals in this role use significant technical knowledge and related experience to accomplish project objectives by planning, evaluating, and managing the execution of project activities with a moderate level of supervision from a senior-level Program or Portfolio Manager. The role requires regular analytical reporting of project status, risks, issues, cost, and schedule performance to the senior management as well as project team members.
- Manage multiple engineering construction projects within assigned program(s).
- Coordinate internal resources and third parties/vendors to ensure timely and cost-effective execution of project tasks
- Assist project team members, Subject Matter Experts, and Sponsor with the definition of project scope and objectives by involving relevant stakeholders, identifying requirements, and ensuring technical feasibility
- Work with impacted areas of the company to secure adequate resources, materials, and funding
- Develop detailed project schedule with some assistance from Program Manager and/or Scheduler.
- Perform continued maintenance, updating, and tracking of project schedule activities and progress reporting
- Identify and manage dependencies between departments, systems, vendors, and assets
- Coordinate Assessment of changes to the project scope, project schedule, and project costs using appropriate verification techniques
- Manage project changes through established Governance Change Control process to ensure appropriate approvals
- Identify and document project issues and risks and monitor the progress of mitigation actions.
- Successfully establish and maintain effective relationships with internal and external resources and key project stakeholders involved in project tasks and key critical path deliverables
- Monitor vendor’s delivery timeline and escalate vendor-related issues through the appropriate escalation process
- Develop and maintain required project management artifacts in accordance with Amtrak Project Management standards and applicable regulations
- Identify efficiencies and recommend process improvements to reduce costs and add value.
Required Skills & Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 3 years of construction project or project management experience, or any equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Experience in planning, design, and/or construction of capital projects in railroad, aviation, highway, maritime, military, or other operating environment.
- PMP certification, or the ability to obtain such within 12 months of hire. Any job offer will require PMP certification within 12 months.
- Strong project management skills with prior experience managing medium complexity projects involving multiple departments
- Strong communication and stakeholder management skills with focus on collaboration, team building, and customer service
- Experience with managing cross-functional teams and cross-organizational implementations with multiple dependencies
- Ability to consolidate project performance data into various types of communication and reporting vehicles to address both management and project team level audiences
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Visio, PowerPoint, MS Project)
- Qualified, or ability to qualify, in Roadway Worker Protection, AMT-II, and NORAC. Must maintain qualifications while in position.
- Must be able and willing to travel to project sites across the assigned territory and access the project sites safely and in compliance with all safety rules. Project sites are in a field environment and exposed to the elements.
- Frequently travel to and visit project sites in all weather conditions as well as on nights and weekends as project schedules necessitate.
- Must have work authorization in the United States.
Preferred Skills & Work Experience
- Graduate degree in Construction Management or Engineering
- 5-7 years of construction project or program management experience.
- 5-7 years of experience in planning, design, and/or construction of capital projects in a railroad, aviation, highway, maritime, military, or other operating environment.
- Railroad industry experience
- Experience with or working knowledge of railway signals and electric traction systems.
- Experience with or working knowledge of track structure and geometry, railway signals,
- Prior experience working in transportation industry
- PMP certification
Posting Location(s):Pennsylvania; Delaware; Maryland
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Engineering || Engineering & Mechanical