Requisition Number: 44376
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
As a leading developer, manufacturer, and global supplier of scientific laboratory products for 100 years, Corning’s Life Sciences segment collaborates with researchers seeking new approaches to increase efficiencies, reduce costs and compress timelines in the drug discovery process. Using unique expertise in the fields of materials science, surface science, optics, biochemistry and biology, the segment provides innovative solutions that improve productivity and enable breakthrough discoveries.
Scope of Position:
In this 3rd Shift Supervisor Role, you will direct the team operations group to achieve Cost, Quality, Health, and Safety objectives. We look for you to execute the plant plan objectives at the tactical level focused on continuous improvement. This position will support the production workforce for multiple departments on the 3rd shift.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Directly supervise all shift personnel responsible for the manufacturing of products related to the Life Sciences businesses to ensure that daily production quantity and quality standards are met.
- Ensure machine staffing is appropriate based on available personnel and the needs of the department/plant.
- Provide immediate supervision to subordinates to execute assignments using established guidelines, procedures, and policies.
- Champion Quality through the department by applying plant Quality standards. Assist department in utilizing Plant Quality systems, including Deviations, CAPA and Change Control.
- Review team performance with team members at regular intervals.
- Counsel direct reports by providing formal and informal performance feedback.
- Build effective relations with plant support groups.
- Implement and monitor training and certification plans.
- Hold reports accountable for adherence to established procedures and setpoints for process control; ensures awareness and compliance to changes.
- Maintain and enforce all safety regulations and housekeeping standards on a consistent basis.
- Maintain the systems and actions necessary to ensure compliance with the Kennebunk ISO 9001 Quality System and ISO 14001 Environmental Management System.
- Maintain payroll and production records.
- Resolve work-related or personnel issues expediently as possible.
- Manage special projects as assigned by the department manager.
- Implement corrective action related to process variations, equipment malfunctions, or operations endangering the safety of personnel or facility.
- Assist employees in setting daily production priorities.
- Evaluate shift team and individual performance and delegate responsibility, authority, and accountability accordingly.
- Limited, less 10%
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
- 3rd shift, Monday – Friday, production shift hours 12 am – 8 am.
- Will need to be available for shift handoff before and after shift hours.
- May need to support off shift as needed.
Required Education & Required Years and Area of Experience:
- Bachelor's degree (technical degree highly preferred) and 1+ years of leadership AND/OR manufacturing experience (new college graduates acceptable with internships or job experience in manufacturing or leadership roles) OR
- Associate’s degree (technical degree highly preferred) and 3+ years leadership AND/OR manufacturing experience OR
- High school diploma / GED and 5+ years leadership AND/OR manufacturing experience.
- Will consider related military experience.
- Ability to communicate with all levels of the plant organization.
- Experience working on technical problems or teams with technicians.
- Ability to train, coach, and direct others.
Desired Experience / Qualifications / Skills:
- Bachelor of Science (Engineering or technical degree program).
- Certified Green Belt.
- Ability to handle employee relations.
- Safety, Health, Environmental compliance exposure.
- ERP (SAP or PeopleSoft) experience preferred.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent customer service and people skills.
- Act with integrity and authenticity.
- Act quickly and conclusively.
- Value differences in people and ideas.
- Champion change and flexibility.
- Communicate and engage – written and verbal.
- Establish direction and build dedication.
- Support and motivate and use talent.
- Use technology and market expertise.
- Building effective teams.
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.