Requisition Number: 44840
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Our Optical Communications segment has recently evolved from being a manufacturer of optical fiber and cable, hardware and equipment to being a comprehensive provider of industry-leading optical solutions across the broader communications industry.This segment is classified into two main product groupings – carrier network and enterprise network. The carrier network product group consists primarily of products and solutions for optical-based communications infrastructure for services such as video, data and voice communications. The enterprise network product group consists primarily of optical-based communication networks sold to businesses, governments and individuals for their own use.
The Packaging Engineering team within Corning Optical Communications seeks a Technician to join the team. The position will be located in Plant 1 in Reynosa, Mexico.
Scope Of Position
The purpose of this position is to initially provide support to the Packaging Engineering team. No packaging engineering experience is required, but a willingness to learn packaging engineering skills is desired. Candidate MUST be able to communicate in English, both verbally and in writing.
Day To Day Responsibilities
- Create ECR/ECN’s for packaging specifications that need to be released in Windchill
- With guidance from Packaging Engineers, be able to create Corning internal packaging specifications
- Requires use of Snagit software, which will be provided to the Technician
- Gather data required for Packaging Engineers to create both new product packaging and updates to legacy packaging
- Product specifications
- What packaging is used for which products
- Minimum and maximum weights and/or lengths of products
- Annual expected production quantities
- Work with Manufacturing personnel to complete prototype/pilot runs via submission of ZP-93 forms
- Able to effectively communicate with stakeholder groups such as Technology, Manufacturing, PLM’s and Commercial, Engineering, Marketing, Finance, etc.
- Basic understanding of DMAIC or Six Sigma principles
- Basic understanding of SAP and ability to navigate within the database to extract required data
- General ability to use Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Willingness to learn use of packaging engineering software – TOPS
- Willingness to learn about packaging materials, properties of those materials, uses of the materials to protect Corning manufactured parts during shipments
- Technical curiosity about improving upon legacy packaging methods
- Basic math competency
- Desire to work and communicate with external suppliers of packaging materials
- Ability to work independently
- Work with minimal guidance once projects or tasks have been assigned
- Good team skills. Able to interact well with others