Additional Locations: US-MN-Maple Grove; US-MA-Marlborough
Diversity – Innovation – Caring – Global Collaboration – Winning Spirit – Caring – High Performance
At Boston Scientific, we’ll give you the opportunity to harness all that’s within you by working in teams of diverse and high-performing employees, tackling some of the most important health industry challenges. With access to the latest tools, information and training, we’ll help you in advancing your skills and career. Here, you’ll be supported in progressing – whatever your ambitions.
About the role:
Boston Scientific is seeking a highly motivated R&D Security Engineer/Architect. The successful candidate will participate in the design and development of medical devices and software, use his/her technical and collaboration skills alongside their passion for innovation and continuous improvement to drive growth through efficient and effective development of new products.
Summary of Role:
Designs and develops system security architectures and defines key capabilities and security requirements. Develops systems implementation approach and operational concept. Coach and guide engineers and developers through threat modeling activities; a successful person will be able to challenge and guide teams with their experience and identify realistic threat scenarios & counter measures. This position requires close collaboration and partnership with divisional product engineers, quality and program management teams located worldwide.
Performs security reviews of proposed architectures for varying medical use cases, to assess and evaluate known risks and negative patterns then represent recommendations.
- Partners with BSC R&D business units, franchises in defining, selecting, and implementing cybersecurity for products and systems across all divisions.
- Identifies security risks in architecture and translate that risk into actionable recommendations that engineering, and design teams can easily consume to build secure solutions.
- Interacts with security engineering and design teams to ensure controls meet the intended goal and that the process is effective.
- Develops threat modeling processes to analyze the ability to mitigate cyber-attacks across business and technology environments.
- Identifies potential attack areas and systemic security issues related to threats and vulnerabilities, including recommendations for enhancements or remediation.
- Prepares and delivers written and verbal briefings to message threat modeling findings across BSC medical software and systems.
- Conducts threat or risk demonstrations via live demo or written narrative.
- Develops solutions to complex technical problems in collaboration with division engineering.
- Assists product divisions in cyber security risk assessment during assessment of new designs and technologies.
- Determines cross functional product security requirements.
- Collaborates with product divisions to assess and solve post market cyber security issues in medical devices.
- Aids product divisions in selecting methods and techniques for cybersecurity.
- Monitors common security patterns applicable to medical devices.
- Champions new process or technology that delivers significant advances.
- Recognizes architectural problem areas and determines ways to effectively resolve them
- May participate in external standards committees for medical device product security.
In all actions, demonstrates a primary commitment to patient safety and product quality by maintaining compliance to the Quality Policy and all other documented quality processes and procedures.
A seasoned, experienced engineering professional with wide-ranging experience and expertise in medical device cyber security and medical device design and development or similar safety-critical, embedded system. Applies comprehensive knowledge of a particular field to resolve complex issues in creative ways. Knowledge of other related disciplines such as software engineering, electrical engineering, and IT systems.
Qualifications (Minimum from BSC education and experience guidelines)
· 7+ Years with BS
· 5+ Years with MS
· 3+ Years with PhD
· Previous Experience in medical device design and security architecture
Requisition ID: 495396
As a leader in medical science for more than 40 years, we are committed to solving the challenges that matter most – united by a deep caring for human life. Our mission to advance science for life is about transforming lives through innovative medical solutions that improve patient lives, create value for our customers, and support our employees and the communities in which we operate. Now more than ever, we have a responsibility to apply those values to everything we do – as a global business and as a global corporate citizen.
So, choosing a career with Boston Scientific (NYSE: BSX) isn’t just business, it’s personal. And if you’re a natural problem-solver with the imagination, determination, and spirit to make a meaningful difference to people worldwide, we encourage you to apply and look forward to connecting with you!
At Boston Scientific, we recognize that nurturing a diverse and inclusive workplace helps us be more innovative and it is important in our work of advancing science for life and improving patient health. That is why we stand for inclusion, equality, and opportunity for all. By embracing the richness of our unique backgrounds and perspectives, we create a better, more rewarding place for our employees to work and reflect the patients, customers, and communities we serve. Boston Scientific is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Boston Scientific maintains a drug-free workplace. Pursuant to Va. Code § 2.2-4312 (2000), Boston Scientific is providing notification that the unlawful manufacture, sale, distribution, dispensation, possession, or use of a controlled substance or marijuana is prohibited in the workplace and that violations will result in disciplinary action up to and including termination.