Requisition Number: 44046
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
As a leading developer, manufacturer, and global supplier of scientific laboratory products for 100 years, Corning’s Life Sciences segment collaborates with researchers seeking new approaches to increase efficiencies, reduce costs and compress timelines in the drug discovery process. Using unique expertise in the fields of materials science, surface science, optics, biochemistry and biology, the segment provides innovative solutions that improve productivity and enable breakthrough discoveries.
Scope of Position:
In this role, you will handle the step-change, handle step specifications, drawings, and claims for the Laboratory Equipment product line. We look for you to drive step-change improvements for cost, quality, and capacity. You recommend performance and design improvements of existing products. Lead work of outside vendors including designers, manufacturing partners, and compliance agencies. Receive new products and product line extensions into Contract Manufacturing Organization. Research ideas and processes for new products (benchtop laboratory equipment).
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Approve the design and test protocols for bench-top laboratory equipment.
- Provide recommendations to and technical support for the product line roadmap.
- Lead product changes; approve validation criteria and test results.
- Approve 3D models, drawings, specifications, and related documents to produce prototypes and ramp production.
- Engage in the development of functioning prototypes for testing and demonstration.
- Work with Product managers on marketing initiatives for products.
- Evaluate production materials, methods & process capability.
- Collaborate with Designers, Engineering Groups, Quality, and Manufacturing Partners.
- Lead project teams in the use of problem-solving methodology & tools to drive process/product improvement.
- Secure & protect proprietary information and IP.
- Compliance with all Plant & Division standard procedures and safety protocols.
- Achievement of personal, departmental, and plant goals & objectives
- Feedback from customers
- up to 10%, domestic including International.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
- Standard business hours; Monday – Friday.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering required.
Required Years and Area of Experience:
- Minimum of 3+ years of experience in equipment/instrumentation design or development and/or electro-mechanical equipment troubleshooting.
- Track record of delivering results.
- Demonstrated knowledge in a technical field.
- Project management skills.
Desired Experience / Qualifications / Skills:
- Experience with benchtop equipment used in academic or industry.
- DMAIC training.
- Varied experience within the field of engineering.
- Experience with safety testing.
- Knowledge of regulatory standards.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, ability to set priorities, customer-focused and focus on results.
- Desire to continuously learn and develop new skills with a proven technical curiosity, desire to identify underlying mechanisms and root causes.
- Work well in a team setting and as an individual that is self-motivated with a can-do demeanor.
- Ability to work with different functional groups such as Quality, Engineering, Operations, etc.
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.