Requisition Number: 52264
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning’s Environmental Technologies segment manufactures ceramic substrates and filter products for emissions control in mobile and stationary applications around the world.
Scope of Position:
- In this role you will deliver manufacturing process improvements in various areas of the plant, with a focus on kiln thermal processes for Ceramics.
- You will also support daily operations as need arise in troubleshooting and problem-solving manufacturing process issues, driving continuous improvement and cost reduction.
- Apply technical knowledge and practices to effectively accomplish technical assignments and projects.
- Support and lead projects to fulfill department goals and objectives in direct support of manufacturing and operations of CELCOR products.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Develop project plans, timelines, cost estimates for process improvements to meet the overall manufacturing and operations objectives
- Design and execute experiments, testing hypothesis that advance fundamental understand in support of process improvement
- Develop testing plans (DOE) and perform data analysis to obtain fundamental understanding for kiln firing cycles and equipment related to its impact on process and product performance.
- Work with Division Engineering resources to optimize test methods for improved fundamental understanding of raw materials, forming, and firing, and process impacts on batch rheology, formability, drying, firing, and physical properties
- Develop and implement firing cycles for reduced cost, improved plant performance metrics, and improved process robustness.
- Work directly with engineering and operations in fixing and resolving process issues
- Work with operators, team leaders, and peers to develop and implement process, equipment, Lean, 5S, or safety improvements into manufacturing
Hours of work/work schedule/flextime:
- You will typically work M-F, 8-5, but we need flexibility to support off hours as needed.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering with preference for Ceramic, Chemical, Materials, Mechanical Engineering or Physics
- Three or more years of hands-on experience in engineering or manufacturing
- Demonstrated effective project leadership on technical projects, working towards root cause and fundamental understanding
- Sound ability to collaborate and achieve objectives through matrix organization / teams
- Self-motivated and self-starter: results oriented and can work independently with high commitment / energy
- Strong technical curiosity and desire to learn
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize engineering decisions with good planning with demonstrated organizational & planning skills
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated results delivering technical improvements in Manufacturing
- Working knowledge of creating and analyzing DOE experiments
- Experience with ceramic manufacturing
- Knowledge of Thermal Dynamics, Firing Process
- Advanced computer skills in Excel, Access, and Statistical Analysis Tools (Minitab or JMP)
- We value a positive teammate who is open and engaging to effectively collaborate in teams in a multi-cultural environment.
- Do you have strong verbal and written communication skills?
- Are you a self-starter with the technical curiosity to learn and bring new ideas?
- Does your flexibility and dedication to succeed support a positive can-do attitude?
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.