Requisition ID: 235240
Requisition Posting End Date: 07/16/2021
Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world’s infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place.
Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers’ objectives to create a lasting positive impact.
We serve the Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations. Core to Bechtel are our values – ethics, safety, quality, people, culture, relationships, innovation, and sustainability, and our covenants – integrity, respect, collaboration, trust, and delivery. They are what we believe, what customers can expect, and how we deliver.
Bechtel is seeking a Pre-Operations/I&C Engineer for our MLP INCO Project, based in Salamanca. Minera Los Pelambres is an existing copper mine north of Santiago, Chile. Bechtel built the original project and subsequent expansions. Since 2016, Bechtel has been working on the development of a brownfield expansion of the existing copper concentrator that will add 40,000 tpd to its current production, and in September 2017 commenced the detailed engineering. The project also includes a 400-liter per second desalination plant and a 65-km, 24-inch water pipeline.
The purpose of the Pre-Operations/I&C Engineer is to Plan and conduct work requiring judgment in the evaluation, selection, application, adaptation, and modification of standard techniques, guidelines, procedures and criteria. Devises new approaches to startup, maintenance, operation, or testing. May include relocation to jobsite to perform specific startup activities as assigned.
- Plans, schedules, conducts, or coordinates detailed phases of startup, operations, or maintenance for a project, including reviews of designs for plant operability and safety and jobsite precommissioning and startup assignments as directed. Performs work that involves conventional practice but may include a variety of complex features such as conflicting requirements, unsuitability of conventional methods, or difficult coordination requirements.
- Assists with the preparation of operations manuals.
- Plans, guides, or prepares project administrative and technical documents as required for startup, maintenance, operation, or testing.
- Coordinates startup between project engineering, construction, specialty staff groups, clients, and vendors.
- Assumes a lead role over other engineers for specific tasks as assigned. May direct overall startup activities on specific assignments.
- Trains assigned personnel and assists them in their professional development.
Qualifications and Skills
- A recognized degree in an engineering or scientific discipline from an accredited college or university, or
- A professional license in an engineering discipline, or
- Sufficient number of specialized courses in relevant general engineering or an appropriate engineering discipline to meet job requirements, and
- Practical work experience in startup, operation, or other relevant experience in design engineering, construction, field engineering, or plant operation in industrial or process facilities.
- Technical knowledge of startup, operation, maintenance, or testing.
- Knowledge of engineering systems, applications of startup and operations and basic knowledge of application of computers to engineering problems.
- Broad knowledge of precedents in the startup or operations area and a good knowledge of principles and practices of related areas.
- Good knowledge of industry or regulatory standards and design criteria pertinent to plant or equipment operations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Applicants with a disability, who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, may e-mail their request to or call +1-800-749-2372 for assistance. Determinations on request for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Juntos formando el mañana
Bechtel es una de las empresas de ingeniería, construcción y gestión de proyectos más respetadas a nivel mundial. Junto con nuestros clientes, entregamos proyectos emblemáticos que fomentan el progreso y el crecimiento económico a largo plazo. Desde 1898, hemos completado más de 25.000 proyectos extraordinarios en 160 países de los siete continentes. Operamos a través de cuatro unidades de negocios globales: Infraestructura; Nuclear, Seguridad y Medio Ambiente; Energía; y Minería y Metales. Nuestra empresa y nuestra cultura se basan en más de un siglo de liderazgo y una adherencia incesante a nuestros valores, cuyo núcleo son la seguridad, la calidad, la ética y la integridad. Estos valores son lo que creemos, lo que esperamos, lo que entregamos y lo que vivimos.
Bechtel es un empleador que ofrece igualdad de oportunidades. Todos los postulantes calificados serán considerados para su contratación sin distinción de raza, color, religión, sexo, orientación sexual, identidad y expresión de género, edad, nacionalidad, discapacidad, estado de ciudadanía (según lo autorice la ley), estatus militar, información genética y cualquier otra característica protegida por la ley federal, estatal o local.
Postulantes en situación de discapacidad, que requieran de ajustes razonables para cualquier etapa del proceso de reclutamiento y contratación, pueden enviar su solicitud por correo electrónico a para recibir apoyo. Determinaciones referentes a los requerimientos de ajustes razonables serán revisados caso a caso.