Work Schedule/Days: Every Weekend / Saturday; Sunday
Employment Type: Part-Time
Requisition #: 88470
Oversees invasive procedures and techniques involved in collection of blood specimens from patients for laboratory use in diagnosis and treatment of diseases. Performs clinical laboratory duties and responsibilities and works effectively with others to meet patient needs. Actively promotes a lean work culture by performing team member duties to ensure consistent use of lean principles and processes, including continually seeking work process improvements.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- No certifications required
- a minimum of 1 year of experience in a pediatric hospital or at least 3 years of experience in phlebotomy, including venipunctures on newborns through adolescent age groups and laboratory processing
- American Society for Clinical Pathology phlebotomy certification or equivalent
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS & ABILITIES*
- Strives for adult-adult relationships with colleagues, subordinates, and superiors
- Collects laboratory specimens properly and safely from patients newborn through age 21 using excellent customer service skills, approaching patients with age- specific behaviors, and following department and system policies and procedures.
- Performs blood collection procedures for a variety of complex tests, such as oral glucose tolerance tests, blood culture collection procedures, and the collection of blood transfusion medicine specimens.
- Performs sweat collections according to Cystic Fibrosis Foundation standards.
- Performs blood collections using universal standard precautions and complies with varying levels of isolation criteria.
- Performs various duties in specimen processing area of the laboratory following standard work processes, including preparation of samples for testing and specimen management in the laboratory information system.
- Identifies patient properly using two patient identifiers.
- Prepares patient in a developmentally appropriate manner by recognizing needs and behaviors of a variety of age groups such as understanding child growth and development and normal patterns of adolescent behavior.
- Actively promotes a lean culture by performing duties to promote the consistent use of lean principals and processes.
- Engages in continual process improvement by identifying waste, ineffective and inefficient processes, and unsafe practices.
- Performs clerical duties related to specimen collection and patient care.
- Researches test/client information using laboratory computer system.
- Maintains patient confidentiality and patient privacy related to Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
- Monitors and troubleshoots laboratory information system error log and specimen collection pending log.
- Recognizes necessity of taking ownership of own motivation, morale, performance, and professional development and strives for behavior consistent with Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta’s and the laboratory’s mission, goals, and values.
Phlebotomists in Community Locations: Additional Duties and Allocation of Time
- May be required to perform patient access duties such as patient registration into the hospital information system.
- Collects laboratory specimens as described in Section III, 1.
- Processes laboratory specimens as described in job description 4968.
Safety: Practices proper safety techniques in accordance with hospital and departmental policies and procedures. Responsible for the reporting of employee/patient/visitor injuries or accidents, or other safety issues to the supervisor and in the occurrence notification system.
Compliance: Monitors and ensures compliance with all regulatory requirements, organizational standards, and policies and procedures related to area of responsibility. Identifies potential risk areas within area of responsibility and supports problem resolution process. Maintains records of compliance activities and reports compliance activities to the Compliance Office.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel so classified.
Ability to lift up to 40 lbs independently and greater than 40 lbs with assistance
Bending/Stooping – Occasionally (activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of time)
Climbing – Not Present
Hearing/Speaking – Effective communication with employees, supervisors/managers and staff. Effective communications with patients and visitors, as required.
Lifting – Occasionally (activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of time)
Pushing/Pulling – Not Present
Sitting – Occasionally (activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of time)
Standing – Frequently (activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of time)
Walking – Occasionally (activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of time)
Definite potential for exposure to blood and body fluids
Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta has been 100 percent committed to kids for more than 100 years. A not-for-profit organization, Children’s is dedicated to making kids better today and healthier tomorrow.
With 3 hospitals, 20 neighborhood locations and a total of 673 beds, Children’s is the largest healthcare provider for children in Georgia and one of the largest pediatric clinical care providers in the country. Children’s offers access to more than 60 pediatric specialties and programs and is ranked among the top children’s hospitals in the country by U.S. News & World Report.
Children’s has been recognized as a Fortune 100 Best Place to Work, a Best Place for Working Mothers, and as a top employer for diversity and millennials. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefit package that supports our mission, vision and values. We are proud to offer an array of programs and services to our employees that have distinguished us as a best place to work in the country. Connect to our mission of making kids better today and healthier tomorrow.
Have questions about the recruitment process? Check out What to Expect.
Address: 1405 Clifton Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30322
Function: Allied Health – Laboratory Services