Location: LOC_MAIN-Main Hospital
Req ID: 96531
Employment Status: Regular – Part Time
The Patient Placement Coordinator (PPC) is responsible for oversight of bed/unit placement for all patient admissions once they arrive to the hospital. Works directly with the Nursing Operations Lead and Nursing Supervisor for Patient Flow to ensure safe patient throughput by coordinating arrival times for all scheduled elective admissions, and assigning/transferring patients on various units/departments throughout their inpatient stay. The PPC is responsible for accurate and timely bed assignments based on departmental protocol, policies and procedures, and compliance with regulatory agencies. This position requires the use of high-level customer service skills and communication skills with our families, departments and clinical staff by phone and face to face. The PPC must be flexible and willing to rotate shifts periodically. Perform other duties as assigned. Applicant will be required to work 20 hours per week (40 hours bi-weekly) working 12 hr and 8 hour shift. The schedule could be patterns of working rotating days, evenings, and midnight shifts. Every 4th weekend is required.
- Works closely with Nurse and Physician Operational and Flow Leadership and staff to support and facilitate safe patient placement throughout the hospital.
- Complete the bed assignment/unit placement for all elective and emergent admissions entering the facility through the Inpatient Welcome Center, Emergency Department, Emergency Transport, Peri-Operative Complex, Day Medicine, while rendering the highest quality of service to complete the admission process in a timely manner.
- Works directly with Nursing Supervisor for Patient Flow to ensure patient demand meets hospital capacity, especially during times of high census.
- Works closely with Admissions Coordinators (AC) for creation or conversion of hospital encounters when new emergent admissions arise.
- Alerts unit Charge RN’s when scheduled elective admissions arrive in Welcome Center and communicates with AC to ensure patient arrival to unit occurs in a timely manner.
- Ensures safe patient transfers between medical-surgical/intensive care units and/or peri-operative complex to be done in a seamless and timely manner.
- Assigns arrival times and unit destinations for all scheduled elective admissions for the next day via the Department Appointments Report (DAR) and Snapboard in the Electronic Medical Record (EPIC).
- Manages the Patient Placement email box and responds to email requests in a timely manner.
Required Education and Experience
Required Education: High School/GED
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
Preferred Education: Associate’s degree
Preferred Experience: Prior experience in healthcare, bed management, registration, medical office, and/or customer service.
Additional Technical Requirements
- EPIC Registration and Scheduling Training required within 1st month of employment.
- EPIC Training Certification Required yearly.
- Mandatory Regulation Training required throughout the year.
- Working knowledge of computers.
- Other training as needed.
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products.
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.
CHOP Careers Contact
2716 South Street, 6th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19146