At BWX Technologies, Inc. (NYSE: BWXT), we are People Strong, Innovation Driven. Headquartered in Lynchburg, Va., BWXT provides safe and effective nuclear solutions for national security, clean energy, environmental remediation, nuclear medicine and space exploration. With approximately 6,400 employees, BWXT has 12 major operating sites in the U.S. and Canada. We are the sole manufacturer of naval nuclear reactors for U.S. submarines and aircraft carriers. Our company supplies precision manufactured components, services and fuel for the commercial nuclear power industry across four continents. Our joint ventures provide environmental remediation and nuclear operations management at more than a dozen U.S. Department of Energy and NASA facilities. BWXT’s technology is driving advances in medical radioisotope production in North America and microreactors for various defense and space applications. Follow us on Twitter at @BWXTech and learn more at www.bwxt.com.
BWXT is currently seking qualified welders to join our growing team in Mt. Vernon, IN!
Those selected for this position will perform, after a series of qualifications, a variety of technical and specialty welding operations. Operations include but are not limited to the use of manual, automatic, and robotic equipment. Welding quality and maintenance of documentation are equal to or in excess of commercial nuclear requirements. Acceptable quality welds will be in accordance with prescribed quality control procedures.
Applicants must be proficient with SMAW (stick) welding and should also have experience pipe welding with manual GTAW (TIG) welding processes. Additional experience with dissimilar metal welding is also desired. Experience performing x-ray and/or ultrasonic tested quality welds; welding out of position, in tight spaces and/or more complicated positions; knowledge of heat treat practices; and familiarity with NDE methods is a plus.
Primary duties will include:
- Identify and perform basic layouts to determine clad limit lines, weld size, spacing, etc.
- Set up, align and level job.
- Move equipment and components to and from workstation.
- Attach preheat torches inside and outside, maintaining proper preheat temperatures.
- Set up and tear down scaffold, when necessary.
- Install and remove mechanical round-out rings.
- Responsible for using proper wire and flux for job to be performed.
- Provide weld quality comparable to commercial nuclear requirements
- Grind and arc-air to remove defects.
- Buff, grind, and clean surfaces prior to welding and grind completed welds to drawing requirements.
- Use weld gauges (fillet, offset, etc.) as required.
- Setup and perform welding machine adjustments, including wire feed and electrode placement, as the job dictates.
- Keep equipment and work area clean and orderly.
- Perform minor maintenance on welding equipment and assists maintenance personnel as required.
- Verify identity and physical characteristics of materials as required.
- Maintain necessary records.
- Work from written or verbal instructions as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- This is a full-time fabrication position
Welders hired for this position will have varying duties throughout the life-cycle of the build and should expect to spend time performing fit-ups, layouts, NDE prep, grinding, rigging, and cleaning as part of the job. Due to the nature of the work, welders hired for this position will also be required to complete a certification process lasting several months prior to performing an initial production weld.
Work performed involves low-volume, high-engineering large-scale product and must conform to all customer, code, and quality control requirements. Additionally, the person in this role must work in accordance with all applicable company procedures, policies and rules. Please note that this is a physically demanding position with the following essential functions:
- Welding at extreme temperatures
- Welding from platforms, lifts, ladders, and at heights above 30 feet
- Ability to enter confined spaces
- Ability to weld in a variety of positions, including laying on stomach
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
Successful applicants must have a high school diploma or equivalent and must satisfactorily complete all prescribed proficiency tests. A minimum of 1-2 years’ on-the-job experience is preferred. Due to our work with the federal government, U.S. citizenship with no dual citizenship is also required.
Please note: Qualified applicants will be eligible to receive a $2,000 signing bonus for this position. This position will likely involve back shift work (4:00 PM to 4:00 AM) and/or weekend shift work. Shift premiums are provided for off-shift work. Successful applicants must be willing/able to work any shift.
BWXT supports diversity and is committed to the concept of Equal Employment Opportunity. We have established procedures to ensure that all personnel actions such as recruitment, compensation, career development, benefits company-sponsored training and social recreational programs are administered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.