Requisition Number: 46410
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Our Optical Communications segment has recently evolved from being a manufacturer of optical fiber and cable, hardware and equipment to being a comprehensive provider of industry-leading optical solutions across the broader communications industry.This segment is classified into two main product groupings – carrier network and enterprise network. The carrier network product group consists primarily of products and solutions for optical-based communications infrastructure for services such as video, data and voice communications. The enterprise network product group consists primarily of optical-based communication networks sold to businesses, governments and individuals for their own use.
With general guidelines and/or under supervision, can propose, plan, coordinate, and control small projects involving technical systems or under supervision, participate in larger more complex projects. Can provide technical and non-technical guidance (oversight) to ensure the systems are technically and economically successful. Assists in development of solutions and resolving complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity. Additionally, this position can also be required to utilize the Innovation / Stage Gate process for new products and manufacturing processes, in collaboration with the OCS Technology team. Projects will typically have significant financial and strategic impact on the division and require leadership that is consistent with Corning's values.
Provide leadership for projects, relocations, modifications, alterations, or manufacturing processes.
Establish requirements with customer(s).
Establish project plans (scope, schedule, cost estimates, project acceptance criteria, etc.) for assigned area of responsibility.
Establish sub-team working with Operating Division, plant and management. Leads sub team to needed results. Act as effective team member on larger, broader teams. Establish receivership requirements for project.
Demonstrate leadership role from a technical perspective. Perform as a technical / functional expert in their own discipline. Broaden exposure to other engineering disciplines.
Actively participate in project meetings and document key issues, action items and decisions.
Effectively participate in all phases of project methodologies to include appropriate initiation, planning, implementation and control, and close-out elements.
Provide periodic project updates to project manager and functional management.
Actively coach other engineers in order to share expertise. Seek coaching as it relates to customer processes.
Share expertise and knowledge to foster continuous improvement of the organization (project team or functional unit).
Be an advocate and role model for safety within their area of responsibility.
Participate in a project critique at completion and share key learnings with others unassociated with the project.
Provide recognition or recommendations for recognition to sub-team members.
Direct responsibility to project manager for project results.
Participate in a limited range of projects which may have significant financial and/or strategic impact on the corporation.
Practice adaptive work style to effectively participate on projects in a global operating arena. Leverage experience working with many different cultures.
Lead product and process introductions to manufacturing plants. Ensure manufacturing requirements and targets are clarified and met.
Own and update the manufacturing requirements for releasing any new product to manufacturing. Includes communication across regions for teams with similar regional responsibilities.
Ensure processes are standardized across multiple plants where necessary
Communicate concerns about NPI program strategy and decisions to OCS leadership
Drive seamless integration of new product and process introductions to Manufacturing
Manage a team of engineers focused on executing tasks to ensure effective and efficient NPI to Manufacturing
Drive improvements in the NPI process that support the DE and Manufacturing strategies
Ensure Change Management is executed to ensure process and product integrity is aligned w/ Product Quality, Cost, Performance and Long-Term Product Reliability to each customer
MEC Strategic Metrics such as:
Meet Key Project Targets
Financials objectives per AR
Quality and Performance measures — cost reduction, yield improvement, fundamental understanding, etc.
Project “Quality” measures – cost reduction, yield improvement, fundamental understanding, etc
Actively participate and support Safety (ensure compliance for self & sub team, complete training, OSHA records, Design for Safety, etc)
Project Team Feedback – documented positive project team feedback as a measure of meeting project team development requirements. Measures to include coaching and counseling, leadership, recognition, etc.
Customer Feedback – documented positive customer feedback as a measure of meeting project requirements.
• B.S. Mechanical, Mechatronic, Industrial Engineering
• Progressive responsibilities in global technical and project leadership.
• Fully knowledgeable of and capable in, appropriate engineering competency’s state of the art.
• Ability to successfully lead a matrixed project team and deliver documented scope to customer on time and budget.
• Self-starter who can satisfy their objectives and timelines with a minimal amount of supervision.
• Demonstrated ability to operate as a team player within a matrix organization. Utilizes technical knowledge and skills to influence versus control others. Can comfortably operate in the “gray” areas.
• Sound problem solving and decision-making processes and skills. Proficient in quality tools including Kepner – Tregoe, Performance Excellence, Project Management tools, etc.
• Computer/Information Technology Skills Desired. Basics – MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint.
• Knowledge of MS Project or other Project scheduling tools.
• Results oriented with a high commitment level.
• Effective written and verbal communication skills across all levels of the project team organization. Must be an effective communicator, able to deliver written and verbal messages.
• Conflict management – as a team player, seeks win – win solutions. Calms down and resolves problems vs. escalating.
• Experience in multiple businesses or technical organizations.
• Project Team focused on single technical discipline.
• Prior project or work team experience.
• Possesses network with Corning global technical community and key external suppliers / partners.
• External recognition such as Green / Yellow / Black Belt, Lean, PMI, Professional Engineering or member of a Technical society.
• Future Project Management Certification program may apply.