Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Lineman Trainees are responsible for the construction, maintenance, and installation of high voltage transmission, catenary, and signal transmission systems.
- Duties include attaching appurtenances, relocate lines away from existing lines, shift poles requiring new foundations, install anchors and foundations, shift under traffic, move poles with wires attached, splice existing appurtenances, and install new foundations and certain designated power lines and signal transmission systems.
- Must be a minimum of 18 years of age and a high school graduate.
- Must have a minimum of 2 years’ experience in heavy physical labor.
- Applicants must have a valid driver’s license on the date of hire.
- Must be able to obtain CDL license within 90 days of hire date.
- Applicants must be able to perform basic mathematical computations including fractions and decimals.
- Ability to pass required training with written exams including two weeks of safety training and required department training modules over a 24-month period to progress to qualified lineman.
- Must read, write, & speak the English language clearly and have the ability to communicate using telephone and radio.
- Basic climbing, rigging, and lineman experience.
- Basic mechanical aptitude and knowledge of hand tools.
- Electronic/electrical background or education.
- Previous electric traction railroad experience.
- CDL License.
- Applicants must be able and willing to understand and apply safety rules, practice safe work habits, identify safety risks and avoid potentially risky behaviors and situations.
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
Posting Location(s):New Jersey
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Engineering || Engineering & Mechanical