With over 80 years as an industrial technology leader, Kennametal Inc. delivers productivity to customers through materials science, tooling and wear-resistant solutions. Customers across aerospace, earthworks, energy, general engineering and transportation turn to Kennametal to help them manufacture with precision and efficiency. Every day approximately 9,000 employees are helping customers in more than 60 countries stay competitive. Kennametal generated nearly $1.9 billion in revenues in fiscal 2020. Learn more at www.kennametal.com. Follow @Kennametal: Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn and YouTube.
Mill 1 Operator
Set up and operate Agathon, Oasis Hone and perform inspection in Mill 1.
Key Job Responsibilities
- Set up and operate any or all of the following machines in Mill 1: Agathon, Oasis hone, Load and unload inserts from multiple machines.
- Orient inserts before grinding. Change and adjust honing brushes and parameters to meet specifications.
- Scope inserts to verify visual characteristics.
- Pull samples and Record inspection results.
- Perform dimensional and visual inspections of product.
- Separate scrap from good inserts, document accurately.
- Record inspection results.
- Scan correct production information.
- Operate other equipment as needed.
Key Job Accountabilities
- Commitment to working safely and understand all safety procedures.
- Must be reliable and dependable.
- Operator/Inspector responsible for following control plan, assuring product is processed/inspected according to proper routings, specifications and that the quantity and style are correct.
- Work to meet daily departmental production goals.
- Communicate safety, quality, product issues with supervisor, team members and across shifts.
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to perform basic math. Ability to read and understand Insert Defect Criteria and on Kennametal Intranet, insert identification, routings and operating procedures.
- Ability to handle inserts with fingers without chipping.
- Ability to read blueprints to determine dimensions to be held while grinding.
- Ability to use personal computer, SAP MII software, locate documents in QMS.
- Understand proper use of functional gages, standard micrometers, Alconia – Hone Inspection System, Optical Comparators, Digimatic Indicators, 30X Microscope, Lightway, “V” anvil micrometers, and Hole Micrometers to measure the characteristics being ground or honed to meet the blueprint specifications.
- Communicate verbally with set-up persons, inspectors, and supervisors.
- Proficiency reached in 6 months or less.
- Must complete all classes in Insert ID within 6 months or less from the time of starting the position.
Education and Experience
Must have High School Diploma or GED.
Environment with controlled temperatures and dust collection systems. Safety glasses with side-shields required. Safety Shoes are required. Gloves, cut resistant gloves when necessary.
Approximately eight hours standing or sitting (depending on the operation) walking, bending and reaching with 2 break opportunities per eight hour work period. Lifting insert trays weighing no more than thirty-three (33) pounds.
Run orders according to the order selection procedure. Assignments and instructions communicated orally and carried out by standing guidelines. Routine problems solved by operator using learned knowledge of insert styles and production processes.
As part of our core values, Kennametal is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all people. We are an Equal Opportunity employer.