Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Support development and implementation of train control projects, with emphasis on Positive Train Control (PTC) systems. Coordinate activities of train control engineering staff, division and production forces and other Amtrak departments to design and implement new and modify existing train control systems and facilities. This position will participate in design, construction and commissioning planning and review meetings. This position supports maintaining configuration control of train control hardware and software designs. This position provides technical expertise to other departments and makes engineering decisions for the C&S Department and their staff upon request.
• Serve as a member of the Engineering Department’s Systems Stakeholder/Steering Committees responsible to define the department’s management information and decision support system goals and objectives.
• Support division and production C&S forces in implementation of modifications to Amtrak’s train control system and addressing technical issues.
• Provide support for signal installation work to ensure that new systems are properly tested before being placed into service; develop and review test plans and procedures to ensure that production and division forces complete all necessary testing and documentation; attend field cutovers; and ensure any field changes are documented in as-in-service documentation.
• Support configuration management process to ensure train control design files, databases, software, etc. are current and properly maintained.
• Must be capable of managing solutions to individual train control design problems, providing direction to train control, maintenance and production staff, and managing staff and consultant train control design staff.
• Maintain documentation of all comments for design and implementation plans, both internal and external.
• Assist in the development of the C&S department’s annual capital and maintenance programs.
• Supports development of signal maintenance practices, procedures, and inspections through maintenance of AMT-23, AMT-27, and other C&S manuals.
• Maintain industry contacts and membership in industry associations to determine industry best practices and their application at Amtrak.
• Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering with seven years relevant experience or eleven years equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
• Knowledge of work rules and safety standards including Amtrak’s AMT-23 and 27, FRA Rules and Regulations Governing Railroad Signal and Train Control Systems, Roadway Worker Protection, and NORAC/General Code Operating Rules. If individual has not qualified under these, then he/she must have the ability to do so within one year.
• Demonstrated experience in execution of train control system implementation, and technical supervision, project management, railroad maintenance and construction methods and planning / scheduling.
• Working knowledge of railroad circuit design as applied in signal systems.
• Knowledge of C&S equipment (microprocessors, relay, batteries, etc.).
• Knowledge of Amtrak’s interlocking layouts and physical characteristics.
• Knowledge of FRA standards, rules, and regulations.
• Knowledge of software system design concepts and processes.
• Prior satisfactory job performance is required.
• Must be able to represent Amtrak at industry (AREMA, FRA, TTCI, APTA) meetings and committees.
• Ability to understand design trade-offs and budgetary implications
• Skilled leader and manager with the following proficiencies:
o effective technical writer and presenter
o conducting meetings and interviews
o interpersonal communications
o time management
o conflict resolution and conducting formal investigations
• Skilled in project management and execution
• Ability to communicate with field personnel to ensure accuracy of signal system designs on file
• Ability to shift priorities at short notice
• Ability to organize and plan work
• Ability to coach and mentor others
• Ability to analyze situations and problems
• Knowledge of Federal regulations and directives
• Ability to function in a stressful environment
• Master’s degree in electrical engineering with nine years relevant experience or thirteen years equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
• Extensive experience in design and construction of railroad train control systems, especially PTC systems
• Extensive field knowledge of train control construction and maintenance practices
• Qualified on NORAC, AMT-2 and RWP
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Engineering || Engineering & Mechanical