Work Schedule/Days: Night / Monday – Friday; Variable
Employment Type: Full-Time
Requisition #: 67806
Provides timely and quality clinical information and improved patient outcomes by accurately performing laboratory tests and procedures. Works effectively with others to meet the needs of the patients and care providers. Actively promotes a Lean work culture by performing team member duties to ensure consistent use of Lean principles and processes, including continually seeking work process improvements. Assists leadership team with administrative and technical support to proactively support the efforts that ensure delivery of safe patient care and services and to promote a safe environment at Children's.
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Technology or a related science is required
- Certification as a Medical Technologist or Medical Laboratory Scientist (ASCP or equivalent)
- For person recently moved into the state or have recently completed the academic and training/experience requirements may be temporarily classified as technologists or technicians for eighteen(18) months only to afford the persons an opportunity to successfully complete an approved qualifying examination
- No minimum experience required
- Previous experience in a clinical laboratory
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS & ABILITIES*
- Requires a limited use of independent judgment and responsibility with minimum technical supervision
- Determine acceptability of specimens and perform laboratory tests according to established procedures within established turnaround times. Recognizes normal, abnormal and critical test results.
- Understand and adhere to lean principles and process by following standard work and maintaining 5S concept in work area.
- Initiate, perform, review and troubleshoot quality control of reagents and test systems.
- Maintain all clinical competencies required in department to and perform in accordance with laboratory policy to provide accurate test results.
- Operate and perform daily preventative maintenance of equipment according to written procedures and documents; report equipment malfunctions and request service as necessary.
- Communicate with physicians, nurses or other requestors by telephone, computer or other method that ensure confidentiality.
- Participate in instrument, equipment and test method validation and correlation studies.
- Actively participate in inventory control and supply chain operations.
- Look for, initiate and/or participate in quality improvement opportunities.
- Promote teamwork and cooperation by promoting a trusting and secure work environment.
- Maintain inspection readiness, Demonstrate knowledge and ownership of current inspection requirements for all applicable regulatory and accrediting agencies. Participate in tracers, mock inspections as required.
- Attend and participate in shift meetings, staff meetings and Laboratory Town Hall meetings.
- Share knowledge and provide instructions to new employees, students, other technologists, technicians and other staff.
- Demonstrates professional skills and technical competency as specified in the Laboratory Competency policy.
- Pursue continuing education.
- Perform other duties and special projects as requested.
- Read and adhere to all laboratory policies and procedures pertaining to department and document understanding as such.
Safety: Practices proper safety techniques in accordance with hospital and departmental policies and procedures. Responsible for the reporting of employee/patient/visitor injuries or accidents, or other safety issues to the supervisor and in the occurrence notification system.
Compliance: Monitors and ensures compliance with all regulatory requirements, organizational standards, and policies and procedures related to area of responsibility. Identifies potential risk areas within area of responsibility and supports problem resolution process. Maintains records of compliance activities and reports compliance activities to the Compliance Office.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel so classified.
Ability to lift up to 40 lbs independently and greater than 40 lbs with assistance
Bending/Stooping – Occasionally (activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of time)
Climbing – Not Present
Hearing/Speaking – Effective communication with employees, supervisors/managers and staff. Effective communications with patients and visitors, as required.
Lifting – Occasionally (activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of time)
Pushing/Pulling – Not Present
Sitting – Frequently (activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of time)
Standing – Occasionally (activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of time)
Walking – Occasionally (activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of time)
Definite potential for exposure to blood and body fluids
Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta has been 100 percent committed to kids for more than 100 years. A not-for-profit organization, Children’s is dedicated to making kids better today and healthier tomorrow.
With 3 hospitals, 20 neighborhood locations and a total of 673 beds, Children’s is the largest healthcare provider for children in Georgia and one of the largest pediatric clinical care providers in the country. Children’s offers access to more than 60 pediatric specialties and programs and is ranked among the top children’s hospitals in the country by U.S. News & World Report.
Children’s has been recognized as a Fortune 100 Best Place to Work, a Best Place for Working Mothers, and as a top employer for diversity and millennials. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefit package that supports our mission, vision and values. We are proud to offer an array of programs and services to our employees that have distinguished us as a best place to work in the country. Connect to our mission of making kids better today and healthier tomorrow.
Have questions about the recruitment process? Check out What to Expect.
Address: 1405 Clifton Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30322
Function: Allied Health – Laboratory Services