Requisition Number: 44959
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science, with a 166-year track record of life-changing inventions. Corning applies its unparalleled expertise in glass science, ceramics science, and optical physics, along with its deep manufacturing and engineering capabilities, to develop category-defining products that transform industries and enhance people’s lives. Corning Valor™ Glass is an example of a life-changing innovation purpose-built to store and protect injectable medicines. Corning is also a global leader in pharmaceutical tubing, manufacturing a variety of clear and amber glass tubing that is converted by our customers into vials, cartridges, ampules and syringes.
Scope of Position:
- Applies physics and sound engineering principles to solve complex non-contact measurements and inspections on Pharmaceutical glass packaging.
- Leads cross functional teams to develop and transfer new measurement & inspection systems to manufacturing.
- Designs experiments and MSA test plans to validate system performance against industry standards and to quantify system capability.
- Leverages external suppliers and machine builders to support capital projects in support of division objectives.
- Participates on PFMEAs and control plan reviews as the metrology and inspection SME.
- Works with internal and external experts to develop solutions to ensure that our product quality meets our customer’s quality expectations and all industry (GMP) regulatory needs.
- Provides manufacturing support on an as needed basis.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Support measurement and inspection process across CPT sites worldwide
- Manage run to standard and governance program
- Define improvement plans and projects for gauges
- Interface with QA and PE to define requirements and specifications
- Define and improve setup and job change procedures
- Identify and work to resolve gaps between plant needs and existing capability.
- Coordinate the transfer of technology for new systems to global sites
- Manage suppliers to deliver capability and systems on time, establish NDA’s/JDA’s
- Be the hands-on expert as it relates to metrology and inspection for CPT. Leverage others where appropriate to meet objectives.
- Execute experiments, MSA’s, and repeatability studies to ensure that all equipment meets the required accuracy, precision, and reproducibility needs.
- Use GMP validation practices to provide documented evidence that CPT M&I systems provide the right capability for assessing product quality attributes.
- Benchmark CPT system to industry standards and business performance standards.
- Train plant engineering, maintenance, and other trainers on the proper use and maintenance of measurement & inspection equipment.
- Provide remote and onsite technical troubleshooting of installed systems.
- Installation support of systems to support new expansion and technology migrations.
- 10% with 25+% possible, including international.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
- 40 hours, Monday – Friday; weekend support as required to support objectives; off-hours meetings and e-mails as needed.
- B.S. – M.S. in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Mechanical Engineering or Computer Science.
- Familiarity with optics and illumination techniques for various glass defects.
- Knowledge of image processing algorithms and measurement tools for blob analysis, edge finding, morphology, feature extraction, classification, and dimensional metrology.
- Applies good engineering practices with appropriate considerations for alignments, calibrations, and optical design within a complex opto-mechanical system.
- Applies appropriate analysis tools such as PPA, DA, FMEA, and other more specific engineering tools to make the right risk-based decision.
- Good project management skills with the ability to plan upfront, develop a reasonable schedule, track progress to schedule, react appropriately to problems, raise issues or concerns to stakeholders as required to remove roadblocks, and meet the overall project goals on time within budget.
- Incessant technical curiosity always expanding skills as technology evolves.
- Microsoft Visual Studio programming (Visual Basic.NET or C#).
- Data collection experience using databases and OPC servers.
- Experience with image processing development packages such as Halcon, Matrox Inspector, NI Vision, or Matlab image processing toolbox.
- Application experience using vision tools for the inspection of transparent “clear” glass.
- High speed inspection and part handling.
- Design of vision inspection systems for glass using industrialized solutions for hot dirty environments with automated handling processes.
- Software skills in support of vision system applications and data management needs.
- Able to lead and influence others (suppliers, commercial partners etc).
- Able to work within a cross functional multidiscipline team of varying skills and experience levels with a willingness to provide and receive direction.
- Brings the “Can-do” attitude even when supporting vague or loosely defined objectives of a new youthful business.
- Organized hard worker that acts with urgency to complete a task.
- Confident presentation skills with the ability to tailor messages to the audience.
- Knows when and what to communicate throughout the life of a project with clear concise wording.
- Uses illustrations well to communicate across technical and cultural boundaries.
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.