At BWXT Nuclear Energy Canada Inc. we are committed to excellence in every business initiative. BWXT Nuclear Energy Canada (BWXT NEC) has achieved an enviable international reputation for excellence in the supply of nuclear fuel and fuel handling systems and service for CANDU reactors in both domestic and international markets. Our success is the result of our commitment to our employees, customers, quality & EHS initiatives.
We are currently seeking a Mechanical Stress Analyst (1-year Contract) for our facility in Peterborough, Ontario.
At BWXT NEC, you will work on technically challenging projects as a member of the Fuel Handling and Engineering Solutions, Pressure Boundary and Analysis Engineering team. You will be responsible for the design and analysis of mechanical equipment and systems for CANDU reactors. Projects will involve you in the design, development and test of mechanical equipment for automated and semi-automated fuelling machines, robotic systems, isotope handling equipment, and maintenance tooling for CANDU reactors and related systems. There is also opportunity to work on site assignment at one of the nuclear power plants in Ontario.
- Provide execution of design and/or analysis of complex equipment and systems from concept to issue of final engineering documents.
- Perform stress analysis calculations associated with equipment, piping, and vessels including fatigue, welded structures, fracture mechanics, non-linear analysis, fluid dynamics and heat transfer. Traditional methods of the analysis as well as the use of associated software packages would be included.
- Maintain knowledge of stress analysis techniques and applications and provide consultation to design engineers as required. Preparation or approval of design documentation, design reports, analysis reports, technical specifications, applicable codes & standards, development and test plans, and engineering quotations requests. Prepare and present technical data to internal and external customers as required.
- Assure proper documentation of technical data generated for the assigned projects and/or tasks is consistent with engineering policies and applicable standards.
- Adhere to on-time/on-budget criteria associated with project commitments and customer success.
- Bachelor or Masters of engineering degree in Mechanical with specialization in stress analysis techniques. Finite element analysis experience required using one or more of the following software platforms: ANSYS APDL, ANSYS Workbench or ABAQUS.
- Professional Engineer registered with the Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO).
- Knowledge in the application of ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code (Section III and VIII), ASME B31.1, B31.3, CSA N285.0, CSA B51.
- Minimum 20 years experience in mechanical engineering analysis practice in a manufacturing environment with modern technology.
- Strong preference given to experience related to stress analysis of nuclear components, particularly those used for CANDU stations.
- Knowledge of the jurisdictional processes for boilers and pressure vessels (TSSA, CNSC).
- Competence in mechanical equipment design and design processes.
- Creative problem-solving skills, outstanding analytical abilities, demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to work in a team.
- Flexibility to work remotely on short-term customer site assignment.
- Knowledge of machine design for oil & gas, mining or power generation industries.
- Experience in project management, P6 schedule creation, or project estimating.
BWXT Nuclear Energy Canada Inc. embraces diversity of thought, values individuality, encourages new perspectives and provides equal opportunity in employment for all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, disability, a conviction for which a pardon has been granted or a record suspended or any other category protected by federal law.