Requisition Number: 52194
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning’s Environmental Technologies segment manufactures ceramic substrates and filter products for emissions control in mobile and stationary applications around the world.
Scope of Position:
- Mechanical equipment technician for the Erwin plant’s Mechanical Equipment Team, focused in the forming areas.
- This role will assist with equipment troubleshooting and process improvement to sustain day-to-day operations.
- Role will also require involvement in ongoing capital projects, supporting the design, procurement, installation, and commissioning of new process equipment.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Actively engage in plant safety initiatives and projects.
- Develop and update engineering and operations documentation.
- Provide mechanical expertise and innovative designs to improve equipment in the batching and finishing areas.
- Solve process issues through data analysis, experimentation, and collaboration with SME’s.
- Uses thorough processes and technical knowledge to build detailed understanding for key process steps.
- Provide 2nd level production support for manufacturing operation.
- Receive and integrate new technologies to improve process capability.
- Recommend and implement improvements to processes and equipment.
- Support projects involving cost reduction, process optimization, and new processes.
- Work with other team members and departments to ensure that product output at each process step meets or exceeds manufacturing budgets and goals.
- Develop and use project plans and timelines to achieve project goals without sacrificing safety, intellectual property, or quality.
- Adhere to all corporate, business unit, and site guidelines.
- Minimal domestic travel may be required but would be the exception.
- Hours of work/work schedule:
- 40+ hrs per week Mon-Fri – 7:00am to 4:00pm (or 8:00am to 5:00pm) typical but negotiable
- Overtime, on-call, and weekend work periodically required to support production or project needs
Required Education & Experience:
- Two-year degree in mechanical engineering technology or related field, or equivalent experience
- 2+ years of experience in a mechanical technician role or other similar function
- Strong safety approach and experience with design for safety
- SolidWorks 2018 or later
- Experience with AutoCAD Mechanical 2019 or later
- Proficient with Microsoft Office 2016 or later, or Microsoft 365
- Mechanical aptitude and technical curiosity
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment
- Strong written & oral communications skills
Desired Skills / Qualifications:
- Proficient with SolidWorks 2020 and AutoCAD Mechanical 2019
- Design for maintainability; exposure to CMMS or asset management software, Maximo preferred
- Hydraulic, pneumatic, chiller, and power systems
- FANUC industrial robotics and automation equipment
- Machining, welding, and other fabrication methods
- Basic understanding of process improvement and quality systems
- Basic understanding of plant utilities, specifically compressed air, power distribution, and house vacuum
- Creative & innovative approach to problem solving
- Positive attitude and collaborative approach
- Ability to learn, be flexible, and adapt quickly
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Self-starter with a strong work ethic
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.