At BWXT Nuclear Energy Canada Inc. we are committed to excellence in every business initiative. BWXT Nuclear Energy Canada (BWXT NEC) has achieved an enviable international reputation for excellence in the supply of nuclear fuel and fuel handling systems and service for CANDU reactors in both domestic and international markets. Our success is the result of our commitment to our employees, customers, quality & EHS initiatives.
Mechanical Engineer – Pressure Boundary and Analysis (Intermediate)
We are recruiting for a Mechanical Engineer for our Peterborough, ON location.
BWXT Nuclear Energy Canada is involved in the design, manufacture, development, testing and service of on-power refueling and reactor maintenance tooling sold around the world. Today, BWXT’s equipment is being used in most of the nuclear power plants in Canada. Check out the YouTube video of an innovative product we designed and manufactured in partnership with Bruce Power, called the Bruce Reactor Inspection and Maintenance System Channel Access Device. Go to YouTube and search for video: “Bruce Unveils new BRIMS Tool”. There are exceptional opportunities to learn and grow with a career in the nuclear industry in Ontario.
The Peterborough community invites you to take a deep breath, relax and enjoy life. We have an abundance of recreational opportunities, festivals, and entertainment that is fueled by culture, nature and homegrown culinary experiences. Friendly people, inspiring landscapes, rich forest tracts, and incredible lakes are waiting for you in the heart of cottage country. The region is home to 140,000 people (approx. 83,000 in the City of Peterborough) in addition to the charming towns, townships and villages that make up the County. We offer the best of all worlds here and we’d like you to get to know us a bit better.
At BWXT NEC, you will report to the Pressure Boundary & Analysis Engineering Manager. Responsibilities of the engineer performing this role include setting the technical direction for the overall project and acting as the main technical interface point to both internal and external customers. Pressure Boundary & Analysis Engineering is a Mechanical Engineering function that largely focuses on the design and analysis aspects of pressure-retaining systems and components for CANDU reactors. The Pressure Boundary & Analysis Engineering group is responsible for the design, analysis, regulatory requirements, development and test of pressure boundary equipment for automated and semi-automated fuelling machines, medical isotope systems, robotic systems, and maintenance tooling for nuclear reactors and related systems. This includes but not limited to concept design, detailed design, design calculations, stress analysis, design reports, design specifications, overpressure protection reports, assessments, studies, technical documentation preparation, and manufacturing, test, commissioning, maintenance and operational support.
- Provide execution of design/analysis/test/commissioning activities for complex mechanical equipment and systems throughout the entire product life cycle.
- Preparation or approval of design documentation (including technical documents, drawings and BOMs), technical specifications, development and test plans, and engineering quotations.
- 3D modelling for the purposes of conceptual design, and performing stress analysis
- Application of design for manufacturability/assembly (DFMA) techniques
- Provide technical support to CAD, Procurement, Manufacturing, Test, Quality and Commissioning and Service personnel.
- Participate in internal and external meetings, such as design reviews, preparing and presenting technical data.
- Utilize classical and modern (finite element analysis) stress calculation techniques to perform stress analysis for components, piping systems, supports, and vessels.
- Maintain working knowledge of the nuclear codes and standards applicable to the Canadian Nuclear environment
- Key success factors are engineering and product excellence, effective design activity management, task/milestone completion on-time/on-budget, producing defect free designs, meeting your metrics, motivating a diverse team, managing and achieving results through influencing and setting of expectations/actions.
- Leading by example, assure compliance and adherence to processes (including internal Business Management System), industry codes and standards, quality systems, policies, and contractual requirements.
- Support process change through process enhancement, and technology introduction to achieve world-class product development and product deployment.
- Support customer relationships and ensure market alignment. This position requires interaction with external customers, subcontractors, and cross functional internal teams.
- May support proposal development and review including scope review, estimating as well as technical presentations to the customer.
- Helps to identify project risks, analyze solutions, and take decisive action to resolve issues and communicate these to the leadership team.
- Provide assurance of health and safety associated with the execution of all projects and activities.
- Short term travel may be required for the purpose of meeting with clients and stakeholders.
- B.A.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering.
- Holds or working towards a current PEO license.
- Typically requires 3 years’ experience in design engineering in Nuclear, Aerospace, Mining, Oil and Gas, or other highly regulated and process based design.
- Demonstrated ability with supporting leadership on engineering projects over their complete EPC life cycles with little support.
- Exposure with a range of interdisciplinary activities; systems design, requirements development, interface design and testing.
- Exposure to a broad range of interdisciplinary departments: systems, I&C, software design and manufacturing.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, understandable by a diverse audience.
- Creative problem-solving skills, outstanding analytical abilities, developing leadership skills and the ability to work in a team.
- Flexibility to work remotely on short-term customer site assignment.
- Most importantly…. creative and innovative thinkers!
- Experience with 3D CAD software (preference for Inventor/Solidworks) and FEA software (ANSYS APDL & Workbench, Caesar II, PEPS, AutoPIPE)
- Experience in the CANDU Nuclear Industry.
- Familiarity with CSA Nuclear Codes and Standards.
- Familiarity with ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code and other ASME Standards.
- Knowledge of process system, pressure vessel or pressure boundary component design.
We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
BWXT Nuclear Energy Canada Inc. embraces diversity of thought, values individuality, encourages new perspectives and provides equal opportunity in employment for all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, disability, a conviction for which a pardon has been granted or a record suspended or any other category protected by federal law.