Requisition Number: 43800
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in speciality glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning’s Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Purpose of the Position
Play a small work stream leader role and work independently for customer with confidence and independently, developing state of the art measurement and automation systems for process development, product attribute understanding, and Quality architecture inspection. Typical projects involve research, development and application of new and innovative technological approaches to a wide array of materials, product, and process measurements needs. This role requires a broad skill set integrating mechanical, physics, electrical, and software engineering disciplines. The candidate will be responsible for integration of complex systems including those based on Imaging and Machine Vision, Optics, Automation, Thermal sensing, Ultrasonic, Non-Destructive Analysis, Microscopy and others.
Day to Day Responsibilities
- Develop fundamental understanding for new mechanical, electrical, and measurement system approaches using the public domain, modeling and CAD tools, and lab experiments
- Communicate testing results and project progress to team members, stakeholders, and leadership
- Integrate new gauge systems and new technologies into Development and Manufacturing lines
- Transfer new technologies to equipment and process receivers, provide remote system support, and develop system documentation
- Capture intellectual property in the form of Invention Disclosures, Research Reports, and Patent Applications
Education and Experience
MS or PhD in Computer Science, Mechanical, Control, Automation or relevant field.
- High talent in one of core capability, such as machine vision (image processing), control algorithm, electrical, optics, physics, computer science, and precision machine area.
- Expertise with broad range of optical and non-optical-based sensors and technologies (including cameras, laser sensors, ultrasonic, vibrometers, and interferometers)
- Ability to communicate effectively to a diverse technical and non-technical audience, including non-native English speakers.
- Ability to work effectively in a small team be cooperative, flexible, and respectful, communicate constructively, show commitment, and work toward a common goal.