Requisition Number: 45651
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
At Corning, our growth is fueled by a commitment to innovation. We succeed through sustained investment in research & development, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges. We are a four-time National Medal of Technology winner thanks to our technology leadership and R&D environment, which attract and enable the best scientific minds in the world. This pipeline of talent has brought life-changing innovation to your fingertips for more than 160 years.
Scope of Position (i.e. projects involved with and role within group):
• Technology leadership from research and development through manufacturing and delivery of technologies required to support high-precision optical systems, optics for laser systems, semicon and consumer electronics applications.
‒ Materials and processes to deliver various optical and semiconductor products
‒ Metrology systems and procedures to quantify product-relevant performance, particularly accelerated lifetime, defect and defect management, surface quality
‒ Benchmarking performance of competitive products, systems and alternative technologies
‒ Leading global initiatives to delivering new technologies from research through manufacturing
‒ Leading technical engagements across global functional organizations and locations
‒ Transfer of new products, processes, and capabilities to manufacturing and receiving new technologies from research
• Functional leadership of the Materials & process competency and capability to support Advanced Optics business goals
• Develop and grow Talent to deliver the business goals and to advance capabilities.
‒ Talent development and planning
‒ Recruiting, promoting and retaining talent
‒ Identifying and providing appropriate training and support for talent development
‒ Ensuring safety and positive work environment
• Lead overall technology roadmaps and business technology strategy for Semiconductor Materials, Optical materials, Precision Glass Solutions, Specialty Glass (as appropriate) as well as contribute to business technology strategy as it relates to materials and processes to support Aerospace and Defense business. Ensure effective research, development, engineering collaboration to develop and execute roadmaps as well as relevant R&D project portfolios to support business technology strategy. Management of Materials & Process Development project portfolio including budget and resourcing.
• Lead technical customer interactions in collaboration with commercial counterparts to deliver product and technology roadmaps
‒ Provide needed technical expertise on our products and technology solutions
‒ Understanding customer requirements and translating these requirements to glass product specifications and performance attributes
‒ Supporting customer requested product testing and product trouble-shooting
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Leadership and execution of materials and process technology delivery and strategy
• Technology project leadership of development programs and strategic capability projects
• Engagement & integration of RDE across multiple organizations and global locations
• Required interactions with research, development and engineering
• Talent development and management
• Budget/spending management
Travel Requirements (please note if international):
Domestic and some international travel required (10-25%)
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
Required Skills (These are skills that candidates MUST possess)
1. Strong knowledge of and experience working with optical and non- optical glasses, glass-ceramics, ceramics, processes and testing as well as their use in semicon and optical components and systems.
2. Knowledge of and experience working with a range of optical and non-optical/semiconductor materials and processes.
3. Demonstrated technology development leadership, execution, and delivery experience.
4. Proven ability to develop and promote talent as well as build a strong functional team
5. Demonstrated ability to create and foster a safe, positive working environment and collaborative culture.
6. Experience in building and advancing capabilities in CRDC and/or in support of a business
7. Experience in leading cross-functional and diverse technology teams and establishing collaborative relationships across functions.
8. Ability to identify the critical path on complex and convoluted initiatives. Demonstrated ability to influence and lead modeling and experimental problem solving and troubleshooting by example.
9. Demonstrated experience in working with customers to define customer needs/requirements, and providing customer product support.
10. Demonstrated experience leading through technology trade-off and implementation decisions resulting in launched products
Desired Skills (These are skills that would be nice for candidates to possess)
1. Experience interacting with international partners, CMs, vendors and customers.
2. Experience managing across and interacting with multi-site/multi-organization teams.
3. Knowledge of and experience with materials relevant for optical systems and semiconductor products
4. FMEA and MEE expertise and experience
5. Knowledge of and ability to influence and contribute to Quality architecture
6. Knowledge of and ability to influence and contribute to effective utilization of Systematic Innovation processes and tools (MEE, POR, assumptions mapping, etc.)
7. Experience in developing technology roadmaps and technology strategy
Education and Experience (minimum required for consideration)
1. Ph.D. Material Science & Engineering, Chemical Engineering or Materials Physics.
2. 10 years of industrial R&D experience with at least 5 years of technology leadership and management experience
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership)
1. Experience with leading global teams and cross functional teams
2. Strong, effective communication skills
3. Organized, planner and able to prioritize
4. Strategic thinking
5. Self-starter; flexibility to handle a mix of activities with a high level of independence
6. Interpersonal skills – open, engaging, enables others
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.