Requisition Number: 46966
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Position Title: Refractory Mason Journeyman
Refractory Masonry consists of building and repairing heat and corrosion resistant structures and vessels such as furnaces, tanks, and containers. These structures are an integral part of Corning’s glass production processes. A Refractory Mason must be able to work in confined spaces and extreme (hot, dusty) environmental conditions. Due to the nature of tasks associated with this position all Journeyman Masons are required to be Journeyman Refractory Specialist.
• Adherence to all facility work rules and housekeeping/cleanliness
• Demonstrates safe working practices and procedures
• Adaptation of job site environment
• Prepares and uses necessary equipment and materials to perform work of a construction nature.
• Using supplied construction prints to identify, layout, and complete masonry tasks as required to construct refractory structures
• Installation of refractory brick and associated ceramic components;
• Understand processes for measuring and mixing refractory ingredients for a wide variety of mortars and other bonding agents.
• Monitor mix of mortars to ensure correct ingredients, consistency and texture
• Operate equipment required for cutting, drilling, grooving, grinding and sizing refractory brick.
• Possess working knowledge of cutting, drilling and grinding media used on equipment.
• Understand the function and operation of hand tools required such as drills, saws, levels, trowels, grinders and measurement devices
• Operate ingredient mixers of all sizes to properly mix mortars
• Have knowledge of ladders, scaffolding and associated equipment to establish safe work platforms
• Assemble platforms as required by tasks to adhere to all safety requirements
• Operate cranes and hoists with proper rigging required for lifting equipment and materials.
• Possess working knowledge of chains, slings, cables and other equipment used in hoisting applications
• Cleaning, grouting, pointing and other work necessary to achieve desired construction results on Masonry projects
• Installation of insulating materials used within the masonry field such as fiber frax and duraboard type items
• Execute demolition of existing refractory structures and proper disposal of old materials
• Interface with computers and computer controlled equipment as needed
• Required domestic travel and some voluntary international travel
• Candidate must currently hold the Mason Journeyman classification
• Safe working attitude and behaviors
• Familiar with masonry tools, equipment and safety equipment
• Troubleshooting and problem solving
• Use of trowels, levels, transit and/or sight level, and other masonry hand and powered tools and equipment
• Use of measuring tapes, rules, squares used to layout and install materials to specifications
• Demonstrated advanced masonry and refractory masonry skills
• Good communication skills
• Strong ownership of achieving team deliverables and meet schedules
• Able to operate a fork truck in tight spaces
• Work independently by him / herself and also do well within team group
• Capability of reading / understanding mechanical and construction drawings
• Layout construction lines accurately, squarely and within tolerances
• Lay brick, block, and other masonry, true to the line, level and plumb
• Select proper material and estimate quantities
• Able to travel outside of country for short term to long term basis
• Medically cleared to wear all appropriate safety personal protective equipment (example: respirators etc.)
• Minimum of 4 years of experience in related jobs
• Qualified candidates must be at least 18 years of age
• Must possess a High School Diploma or GED.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.