Purpose and Passion • Comprehensive Benefits • Life-Work Integration • Community • Career Growth
At Boston Scientific, you will find a collaborative culture driven by a passion for innovation that keeps us connected on the most essential level. With determination, imagination and a deep caring for human life, we’re solving some of the most important healthcare industry challenges. Together, we’re one global team committed to making a difference in people’s lives around the world. This is a place where you can find a career with meaningful purpose—improving lives through your life’s work.
Manager II , R&D Systems Engineering
About this role:
This is a critical management role in R&D leading a high performing team responsible for the design and testing of connected systems that communicate with implantable medical devices, transfer data to/from servers and display valuable information to customers. This role is highly cross-functional both inside and outside of R&D, and interfaces with a global team of R&D engineers. Team members serve as the primary technical point of contact for the marketing, regulatory, technical services, reliability, and clinical organizations.
At Boston Scientific, our products and technologies are used to diagnose or treat a wide range of medical conditions. We continue to innovate in key areas and are extending our innovations into new geographies and high-growth adjacency markets.
This position is responsible for directing the activities of the systems engineering function focused on the next generation of Neuromodulation implantable devices. This team’s primary activities are to help define innovative and high valued products for the business, create system requirements and design, partner with various R&D functions to develop these products, and perform system evaluation activities to ensure high quality. Throughout this process, the systems engineering manager oversees the efficient, high quality design and evaluation of these products.
- Responsible for recruiting, coaching, and developing organizational talent.
- Fosters a diverse workplace that enables all participants to contribute to their full potential in pursuit of organizational objectives.
- Creates an entrepreneurial environment.
- Responsible for providing direction and guidance to exempt specialists and/or supervisory staff who exercise significant latitude and independence in their assignments. May supervise non-exempt employees.
- Keeps the organization’s vision and values at the forefront of decision making and action.
- Demonstrates effective change leadership.
- Builds strategic partnerships to further departmental and organizational objectives.
- Develops and executes organizational and operational policies that affect one or more groups by utilizing technical/professional knowledge and skills.
- Monitors compliance with company policies and procedures (e.g. compliance with FDA, BSI, MDR, etc.).
- Makes decisions regarding work processes or operational plans and schedules to achieve department objectives.
- Responsible for developing, monitoring, and appropriately adjusting the annual budget for the department.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 10 years of product development experience in a regulated environment
- Experience working in R&D functions developing safety critical systems
- Knowledge of systems engineering methods and tools (Architecture, Modeling, Product Line Engineering, etc.)
- Knowledge of usability and product security aspects of systems engineering
- Knowledge of test protocol development and automation
- Design Controls expertise with particular focus on user needs, intended use, system requirements, system design, and traceability
- Experience developing products that are used to read, manipulate, transfer and display data from medical devices.
- Experience working with a global R&D team
- Knowledge of Lean/Agile concepts including scrums, burnups, retrospectives, backlog, and minimizing WIP
- Ability to lead a high performing team of experienced engineers
- Ability to prioritize resource needs across competing projects
- Experience in leading change management initiatives
- Strong communication skills, including technical discussions at all levels
- Ability to develop partnerships with cross-functional areas within and outside of product development
- Project Management training and/or experience
Requisition ID: 483477
As a leader in medical science for more than 40 years, we are committed to solving the challenges that matter most – united by a deep caring for human life. Our mission to advance science for life is about transforming lives through innovative medical solutions that improve patient lives, create value for our customers, and support our employees and the communities in which we operate. Now more than ever, we have a responsibility to apply those values to everything we do – as a global business and as a global corporate citizen.
So, choosing a career with Boston Scientific (NYSE: BSX) isn’t just business, it’s personal. And if you’re a natural problem-solver with the imagination, determination, and spirit to make a meaningful difference to people worldwide, we encourage you to apply and look forward to connecting with you!
At Boston Scientific, we recognize that nurturing a diverse and inclusive workplace helps us be more innovative and it is important in our work of advancing science for life and improving patient health. That is why we stand for inclusion, equality, and opportunity for all. By embracing the richness of our unique backgrounds and perspectives, we create a better, more rewarding place for our employees to work and reflect the patients, customers, and communities we serve. Boston Scientific is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Boston Scientific maintains a drug-free workplace. Pursuant to Va. Code § 2.2-4312 (2000), Boston Scientific is providing notification that the unlawful manufacture, sale, distribution, dispensation, possession, or use of a controlled substance or marijuana is prohibited in the workplace and that violations will result in disciplinary action up to and including termination.