The Accounting Consultation team provides in-depth technical accounting knowledge to the audited entities in KPMG’s Banking Audit practice. The team brings technical knowledge with practical insights and experience in the banking sector to advise our audit teams on their most complex and judgmental technical accounting and reporting issues.
Our team creates added value through:
-Seamless integration into investment and retail banking audit teams to assist and deliver on the most technical accounting aspects of their audits.
– Translating subject matter expertise on complex accounting areas such as IFRS 9, hedge accounting and structured transactions into comprehensible and practical solutions.
– Be at the forefront of, and drive best practice in, financial instruments reporting across the KPMG audit practice.
– Provide high quality and practical training and education for external and internal audiences.
– Maintain close links with KPMG UK’s national and global technical departments
Role and Responsibilities
– Advise on a wide range of accounting and reporting areas, with a focus on financial instruments for our retail and investment banking clients.
– Integrate into audit teams to deliver responsive support based on strong project management skills.
– Direct interaction with clients on our biggest clients and/or areas that attract significant accounting risk.
– Inspection of financial statements of Public Interest Entity clients prior to issuance
– Develop internal and external training on accounting and financial reporting matters
– Respond to ad-hoc accounting queries from audit teams
– Manage and mentor team members.
– There will also be opportunities to get involved in some advisory engagements and projects led by other KPMG teams where accounting SME support is required, e.g. IBOR replacement, Brexit, Finance transformation and transaction services.
– Responsible for delegating, coaching and leading a team of assistant managers who specialise in technical accounting alongside other managers and under guidance of Partners/Directors to support our most complex banking audit clients.
– Direct interaction with Banking audit Partners/Directors and regular interaction with senior members of Banking audited entities’ accounting policy and finance functions, delivering insights in GAAP compliant solutions to the audited entities most complex technical challenges.
– Responsible for delivering technical accounting solutions to maintain industry leading audit quality to a range of complex audited entities including global investment banks, mid-tier building societies and smaller private banks. Solutions will be provided post internal consultation within the team.
– Work experience in an accounting firm or finance function focusing on financial instruments related technical accounting relevant to financial institutions.
– Experience of evaluating complex technical issues, requiring analysis of facts and circumstances and consideration of alternatives culminating in provision of sound practical GAAP compliant accounting solutions.
– Audit experience advantageous but not vital to role.
– Knowledge of finance processes, particularly accounting processes and/or financial reporting.
– Professional qualification: ACA, ACCA or CPA.
– Strong technical knowledge of accounting standards related to financial instruments and/or relevant to Financial Services clients (IAS 32 and 39, IFRS 3, 7, 9, 10, 13, 15 and 16, and FRS 102 sections 11 and 12) and crucially their practical application within the banking industry.- Excellent written and communication skills; including delivering presentations and an ability to communicate well with clients in writing and verbally.
– Strong project management skills, demonstrated by a record of accounting project delivery;
– Ability to motivate a team and lead by example.