Requisition Number: 41493
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Our Optical Communications segment has recently evolved from being a manufacturer of optical fiber and cable, hardware and equipment to being a comprehensive provider of industry-leading optical solutions across the broader communications industry.This segment is classified into two main product groupings – carrier network and enterprise network. The carrier network product group consists primarily of products and solutions for optical-based communications infrastructure for services such as video, data and voice communications. The enterprise network product group consists primarily of optical-based communication networks sold to businesses, governments and individuals for their own use.
Scope of Position:
Utilize good troubleshooting techniques along with sound judgment to effectively accomplish technical assignments and projects. Makes decisions based upon data and technical understanding. Actively participates within and beyond department boundaries to resolve important process and equipment issues. Independently executes projects to fulfill department goals and objectives.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Provides 2nd level mechanical, electrical, & controls troubleshooting support for all equipment in assigned area
- Supports continuous improvement in cost reduction, equipment improvement and mean time between failure improvement projects
- Manage equipment performance improvement projects (Safety, MTBF, R&M cost)
- Interface with operators, team leaders, maintenance personnel and peers to develop and implement equipment, repair procedure, maintenance cost or safety improvements into manufacturing
- Work with engineering to develop equipment specifications/requirements and organize meetings with respective support groups to review proposals and quotes prior to purchasing
- Develop maintenance training and troubleshooting documentation (Tier I)
- Provide feedback to division/process engineering during design reviews for new processes and equipment
- Supports the management of spare parts inventory for production equipment, including recommended changes and justifications
- Formally document all aspects of improvement activities
- Document processes and procedures required maintain production equipment efficiently and within specifications
- Support the transfer of new cabling equipment from development to production. Provide support, develop plans as to how the equipment will be employed into production and ensure that the new technology is repeatable in a production environment prior to transfer. Ensure all maintenance documentation is completed such as PM's, calibration, and troubleshooting guides
- Work with and train maintenance and other support personnel to improve troubleshooting skills plant-wide
- In all work:
- Maintain and Practice Corning Values
- Consider safety implications in all decisions
- Regularly review and consider available process data
- When applicable consider input and review data with SMEs
- Make sound engineering; data driven decisions
- Communicate and document changes to enable expedited future responses
- Track the production performances to ensure capability is maintained
Travel Requirements: none
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
- 12 Hour Shifts – Night shift
- Overtime could be required and a flexible schedule to accommodate 24/7 production support is required.
- High School or equivalent
- 2 year technical degree preferred; degree in Mechatronics or similar type program
Required Years and Area of Experience: 3+ years in a manufacturing environment
- Strong demonstrated fundamental understanding of 3 phase electrical systems, machine/motion control systems, electro-mechanical systems, VFD and Servo programming, communication protocols, and practical applications
- Ability to interface and troubleshoot PLC and HMI systems
- Strong mechanical fundamental understanding
- Creative/innovative problem solving
- Strong overall technical understanding
- Able to collaborate across organizational boundaries and integrate solutions
- Results oriented and high commitment
- The ability to learn new technology and processes quickly
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to generate, debug and modify PLC code – ladder logic, structured text and function block diagram
- Experience with Maximo CMMS system for maintenance
- Experience with the OSI PI (historian) interface
- Knowledge of plastic extrusion/UV processing technologies/Rotating Equipment
- Knowledge of Cabling process and equipment
- Data analysis skills
- Experience with Rockwell, G&L, Beckhoff, GE Ifix, Wonderware are a plus
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
- Good verbal/written communication and presentation skills
- Interpersonal skills – engaging, enabling, open
- Rigorous problem solving skills
- Planning and organization
- Effective in managing multiple priorities
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.