Req Id: 341413
At Bell, we do more than build world-class networks, develop innovative services and create original multiplatform media content – we advance how Canadians connect with each other and the world.
If you’re ready to bring game-changing ideas to life and join a community that values, professional growth and employee wellness, we want you on the Bell team.
Bell is making unmatched investments in our world-leading broadband fibre and wireless networks because we know they’re the backbone of the products and services our customers love. If you’re excited about transforming the way people connect, our Network team is the right place for you.
Name and description of the hiring department:
Reporting into the Live Service Support team, the candidate performing the Live Support Technician role will provide ongoing L2 support of Live and VOD Multiplatform Systems.
Job Duties / Accountabilities:
- Maintain integrity of all on-air services
- Required 24/7 maintenance support of the incoming and outgoing signals on multiplatform N-Screen (mobile streaming) equipment, networks, satellite and fibre
- Shift work and on call support will be required
- Install and commission new systems and equipment
- Provide preventative maintenance and upgrades to all aspects of the broadcast facility
- Provide technical support to all Operation teams
- Support Pay Per View servers and automation
- Set up satellite feeds for live events
- Maintain daily logs of equipment maintenance
- Support team in mission critical Unix (Linux) based infrastructure in a TV broadcast environment, Disaster Recovery, test, lab and development environments across networks
- Support of implementation of VMWare and associated SAN storage systems
- Support System Administration tasks, software and hardware deployments, system configuration, backups, system monitoring, performance tuning and troubleshooting
- Involved in Installation and testing of Operating System patches and updates
- Determine failing component and take corrective measures to minimize impacts to production environments
- Support Bell TV, VOD and IPTV systems
- Provide input on operational procedures, develop and maintain technical documentation
- Knowledge sharing and training between other L2 technicians on system components as required
- Minimize loss of services by quickly identifying and implementing corrective measures
- Other duties as assigned by the manager of Service Support
Essential Qualifications / Competencies:
- Knowledge of broadcast equipment, digital video compression Mpeg 2 / Mpeg 4, base band audio Analogue/PCM/Dolby, video NTSC/SDI/HD and data
- Thorough knowledge of streaming technologies (Content delivery networks and Origin streaming servers)
- Computer science, electrical university or college diploma or equivalent
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Service minded attitude
- Must be a motivated self-learner
- Ability to write technical documents
- Ability to work in a matrix or shared services organizational model
- Ability to work effectively in a high volume environment that is subject to frequent change
- Provides operational support and quick resolutions for the organization’s content management systems
Preferred Qualifications / Competencies:
- Experience with video automated Quality control technologies would be an asset
- Knowledge of various test instruments and transport stream analyzers
- Demonstrated experience of UNIX/LINUS System Administration in a production environment
- Knowledge of Internet (DNS, routing, networking, load balancers, firewalls, TCP-IP, UDP, multi-cast) network troubleshooting and provisioning
- Recent experience in building and supporting VOD or IPTV systems
- Experience with multi-tier large scale storage environments (SAN, NAS, Base tape)
- Demonstrated working knowledge of SAN storage systems
- Knowledge of a broadcast environment compression technology (IP, HD-SDI, ASI, MPEG-2/4)
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of virtualization technologies (VMWare 5.x, Hyper-V, UCS)
- Hands-on experience in setting up and configuring encoder/transcoders, building video profiles for live and VOD
- Knowledge of servers, automation systems, VTR’s, routers and production equipment
- Knowledge of satellite uplink facility
- Knowledge of satellite signal acquisition
- Knowledge of ASI, IP, Fibre and Cable signal flows and standards
- Shift work, 24/7 operation
- After-hours on call as required
- Overnight maintenance as required
Job location address: 115 Scarsdale Rd, Toronto (Ontario)
Bilingualism is an asset (English and French); adequate knowledge of French is required for positions in Quebec.
Position Type: Union
Job Status: Temporary – Full time
Job Location: Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Flexible work profile: Mobile
Application Deadline: 01/20/2022
Please apply directly online to be considered for this role. Applications through email will not be accepted.
At Bell, we don’t just accept difference – we celebrate it. We’re committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and accessible workplace where every team member feels valued, respected, and supported, and has the opportunity to reach their full potential. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. For a confidential inquiry, simply email your recruiter directly or email@example.com to make arrangements. If you have questions regarding accessible employment at Bell please email our Diversity & Inclusion Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Created: Canada, ON, Toronto
Bell, one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers.