Lumen is guided by our belief that humanity is at its best when technology advances the way we live and work. With 450,000 route fiber miles serving customers in more than 60 countries, we deliver the fastest, most secure global platform for applications and data to help businesses, government and communities deliver amazing experiences. Learn more about Lumen’s network, edge cloud, security and communication and collaboration solutions and our purpose to further human progress through technology at news.lumen.com, LinkedIn: /lumentechnologies, Twitter: @lumentechco, Facebook: /lumentechnologies, Instagram: @lumentechnologies and YouTube: /lumentechnologies.
Lead in the team effort to design, develop, code, test and debug new complex software or significant enhancements to existing complex software. Lead review of input for documentation of new or existing software. Apply existing and introduce new and approved technologies to develop solutions. Lead others in the application of principles, theories and concepts and use of methodologies, tools, documentation processes and test procedures to complete projects.
Our ideal candidate is the person that spends hours writing code and/or scripts to automate five minutes of manual work that will be repeated. The mission of this team is to develop automation capabilities that simplify and improve employee and or customer experience.
The Main Responsibilities
As a Lead software developer, you would closely collaborate with other developers on the team to build automation on top of Lumen’s product platforms. Lead developers on our team leverage their experience to collaboratively help design and engineer solutions and implement in an iterative way. We write in Python and leverage other automated platforms systems to implement our solutions. As a lead developer, the types of tools and systems you would work with on this team are :
- Git or other revision control utilities
- Jenkins/Gitlab CI/CD/ or other automated build and deployment systems
- Service Now
- Mongo DB, Elasticsearch or other NoSQL type databases
- Apache Kafka, RabbitMQ, and other message brokers
- Ansible / Salt / Puppet / Chef
- Network and security elements such as routers, firewalls, DDoS mitigation appliances, and intrusion detection systems
In addition to coding you would the lead on our team will be expected to
- Works with the Technical Director, Technical Architect, App/Web Developer, Database Administrator, System Administrator, Project Management, Account Management and Creative to create best-in-class websites and applications, completing all requirements and meeting usability expectations
- Develops and/or maintains a sustainable front-end framework and coordinates with other team members
- Partners with Technology personnel to develop creative marketing technology solutions in support of meeting client expectations
- Estimates timeline for assigned projects and ensures that work is completed with the estimate given
- Provides leadership in the development and implementation of short- and long-term technology plans and related policies and procedures
- Takes a lead role in establishing and implementing standards that will facilitate a quality IT infrastructure all clients
What We Look For in a Candidate
The following are not required, but are things that we look for to raise resumes up to the top of our stack:
- Experience with developing solutions that leverage distributed architecture
- Experience with DevOps tools
- Experience with Itential Automation Platform
- Broad information security knowledge
- Experience with system, network, or security administration in a Unix-based environment
- Knowledge of Internet networking protocols, topologies, and security impacts
- 8+ years professional experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent education and experience
- 6+ years professional experience with a Master’s Degree or equivalent education and experience
What We Look For (Continued)
Ideally, we’re looking for someone that has a strong background in software engineering that exhibits:
- Experience and prior work in any of these languages: Java, Ruby, Perl, or Python
- Experience in at least two out of the three programming paradigms: imperative, object oriented, functional
- Experience in DevOps, unit testing, and continuous integration
- A strong desire to learn and play with new technologies and techniques
- Excellent communication and leadership skills
- Experience with iterative development methodologies and practices
Morhpheus* MAAS* Bare Metal* Operating Systems* RHEL* CENTOS* UBUNTU* Debian* Windows Server* ESXi* RHHI-V Virtual Machines* VMWare* KVM* OpenStack* PostgreSQL* Kibana* Elastic Search* Redis* Python* Bash* IPMI* PXE* iPXE* ZTP* Salesforce* NOI* ServiceNow* Vlocity* Itential* Incognito*AWS*Azure*GCP*Django*Software*Engineer*
Requisition #: 257571
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.