Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Lead Business System Analyst (BSA) is responsible for interfacing with stakeholders in both the business and IT to help align technology solutions and/or processes with Information Technology and business strategies. Demonstrates and applies an informed, if not advanced, knowledge of accepted business analysis practices and methodologies. Assesses business process improvement opportunities utilizing a structured requirements process (gathering, analyzing, documenting, and managing changes) to assist in identifying priorities. Collaborates closely with business partners to identify improvement opportunities that can be realized through technology solutions and works with the business to define, analyze and document associated requirements. Takes approved projects through the full systems implementation lifecycle including business requirements, functional specification, testing, deployment, and support hand‐off. The Lead BSA takes initiative and collaborates to resolve urgent problems, and acts with limited authority based upon subject matter expertise. Supports several moderately complex business processes. May be allocated to one or more enterprise project initiatives.
- Collaborates with business and IT subject matter experts to contribute to or lead development of business cases and cost/benefit or return on investment analysis to justify IT initiatives/projects.
- Facilitates process mapping sessions with business subject matter experts to document as‐is and to‐be processes, narratives, gap analysis and roadmaps.
- Conducts planning sessions related to projects or new technologies to implement process improvement within the functional area.
- Leads requirements gathering, analysis and documentation including business/functional, non‐functional requirements use cases, user stories, business rules, data dictionaries, and other information or processes required to describe system changes supporting design, development, QA, UAT, RFI/RFP, enterprise architecture planning and technical specifications.
- Based on business case and defined requirements, and in collaboration with Architecture and other technical teams, may provide recommendations and/or proposed solutions to maximize business outcomes and performance.
- May develop system diagrams to illustrate the conceptual application/technology landscape and data or process integration between systems; may overlay such diagrams with business process flows to illustrate process/system interactions
- May collaborate with Architecture and other technical teams to design and develop new systems.
- Perform package application functional configuration activities as needed.
- Develops test plans, test cases, user stories, use cases, and traceability matrix and sequences end‐to‐end testing to ensure that the systems work as expected during enhancements.
- Coordinates User Acceptance Testing including data setup, environment setup, scheduling, training, etc.
- Contributes to or may lead data migration activities and ensures that the verification/test plan addresses all known scenarios and risks.
- Develops training materials and trains the system’s end users; documents instructions, support procedures, troubleshooting tips, and Knowledge Base articles for Service Desk and Tier‐2support teams prior to go‐live and during hypercare support periods
- May serve as Scrum Master on projects
- Collaborates with multiple business and IT groups across Amtrak to support system architecture, software development and testing.
- Provides input to other technical disciplines on design, development, enhancement, and testing of assigned information technology systems.
- Consults with business stakeholders and IT service owners to understand the impact of technology changes to the business.
- Establishes strong relationship with business partners and IT colleagues in order to provide process solutions to meet user needs.
- Takes initiative and exercises independent judgment to resolve urgent problems. Acts with limited authority based upon subject matter expertise when necessary.
- Contributes to gate reviews, change advisory boards and IT operational readiness review meetings.
- Promotes an understanding of IT Service Management roles, processes and activities to business units and IT departments. May support and participate in formal Amtrak reporting.
- May play a key role in managing the sourcing and selection process for third‐party software and other technology components.
- May lead small projects or enhancements, serving in a Project Manager capacity in addition to a BSA role.
- May lead or contribute to Organizational Change Management plan and activities, in coordination with the business and IT OCM.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Management, Systems Engineering or other related field plus 6+ years relevant work experience or 10+
- years of relevant work experience required to satisfy education and experience requirements.
- Experience with IIBA guidance and approach to requirements development/ management
- Must have exceptional written and verbal communication skills, and the capability to present confidently at various levels from project teams to Executive leadership
- Strong interpersonal and team‐building skills, works well with others in an integrated team environment, and must be self‐motivated
- Solid analytical and problem‐solving skills
- Broad knowledge of multiple computer environments, platforms and technologies and in‐depth knowledge of the enterprise’s products
- Solid experience and proven track record facilitating, defining and documenting business process maps (swim lane format preferred), business/functional requirements, use cases, user stories, technical specifications, test plans, test cases, test scripts, and test results
- Experience serving as a liaison between IT and business stakeholders
- Strong experience with packaged software and enterprise solutions
- Broad knowledge and experience with a variety of collaboration, requirements, testing and support methodologies
- Knowledge of Key Performance Indicator reporting and industry best practice/industry benchmarks
- Experience with Agile methodologies (SCRUM/SAFE) and techniques
- Ability to create and document Amtrak’s Project Life Cycle Management (PLM) artifacts and key process steps
- Experience with standard business process notation such as BPMN
- Demonstrated experience in COTS or packaged software implementation and integration projects.
- Ability to translate technical issues to non‐technical audiences.
- Ability to do general troubleshooting for existing information systems or desktop applications to identify errors or deficiencies
- Experience facilitating the sourcing and selection process for third‐party software and other technology components and services including drafting Request for Proposals (RFPs), Work Requests/Statements of Work (SOWs), and Request for Information (RFI), and facilitating the scoring and selection of products/vendors
- Solid skills in Microsoft Office 365 including Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Project, and Visio
- Solid skills and experience with BA tool sets including Jira, Confluence, Tableau and HP Quality Center.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Management,
- Systems Engineering or other related field plus 8+ years relevant work experience
- Business Analysis certification from IIBA, IQBBA or PMI (PBA, CBAP or equivalent)
- Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) qualification
- System and or platform certifications, as appropriate.
- Experience with Lean, Six Sigma or other process improvement methodologies
- Project management experience
- Experience in travel, hospitality or transportation industries
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
Posting Location(s):District of Columbia
Job Family/Function:Information Technology
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Information Technology || Information Technology