Join a diverse and dynamic team that makes and delivers the most valuable services in the world: electricity and natural gas. At Consumers Energy, our customers are at the heart of everything we do. Our employees work around the clock to provide service to our customers in honor of our history and to fulfill our promise to Michigan – Count on Us! Consumers Energy, the principal subsidiary of CMS Energy and headquartered in Jackson, Michigan, provides natural gas and electricity to nearly 6.8 million of Michigan’s 10 million residents in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties.
The role of the Configuration Analyst includes planning, monitoring, and recording IT assets and configuration record to ensure compliance, completeness, and correctness. The individual will assist in forming actionable strategies to meet Consumers Energy IT & BP vision. This role will also partner with the Asset Management team to develop new procedures for overseeing quality and control of assets throughout their lifecycles.
This role will also require creation and implementation of a Dashboard that reflect the visual performance of Assets and Configuration Items in relations to ITIL core processes. The Configuration Analyst will oversee the execution and adherence to governing processes, investigation of any reported or defined gaps, and management of corrective actions.
The Configuration Analyst will own development, implementation, and continuous improvement of an ITSM dashboard via ServiceNow which will represent all ITSM managed processes to include the CMDB, Incident, Problem, Change, etc
- Manage Configuration Management Database
- Define Vision and Strategy
- Define CMDB Structure
- Determine CI Selection Guidelines
- Define CMDB Standards & Processes
- Define Audit Criteria
- Baseline CMDB
- Design ServiceNow Solutions & Process
- Manage CMDB Quality & Integrity
- Create Configuration Management process & KPI’s
- Create Configuration Management Performance Reporting
- Define Verification and Audit Process
- Respond to Audit & Compliance deficiencies
- Initiate Corrective CMDB Action
- Execute Corrective Action
- Manage day-to-day activities required to maintain CMDB
- Engage cross-functional team Gathering and reporting on process metrics.
- Tracking compliance to the process.
- Agreeing and defining the service assets that will be treated as configuration items.
- Defining the structure of the configuration management system, including CI types, naming conventions, attributes and relationships.
- Ensuring the integrity of the configuration management system, including the CI data model and relationships.
- Defining and coordinating Configuration Analyst activities and responsibilities.
- Planning and managing support for Configuration Management tools and processes
- Continuous Service Improvement
- ITIL Dashboard Management
- Process Simplification and Automation
- Agile Delivery
- Machine Learning Capabilities
- Predictive Data Analytics
- Introduce Self-Healing actions (Automation)
- Define integration strategy to optimize CMDB usage (i.e. with App-Dynamics, Moogsoft, Solarwinds)
- Manage and Maintain
- Professionally exercise discretion and independent judgment in day-to-day work. Compliance with all processes, procedures, and standards applicable to the position including (but not limited to): SSAE16 SOC 1 (Statement on Standards for Attestation Engagements No. 16 Service Organization Controls 1) , CIP (Critical Infrastructure Protection), Change Management, Tariff (Open Access Transmission, Energy and Operating Reserve Markets Tariff), FERC (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission), NERC (North American Electric Reliability Corporation), U.S. Department of Homeland Security, and NAESB (North American Energy Standards Board)
- Maintains strong relationships with Infrastructure and Applications Engineering, Operations, Supply Chain, Legal, partners, vendors and suppliers to ensure clear communication, quality delivery of services and the successful achievement of Consumers Energy’s financial targets and compliance requirements.
- Supports the movement across CE & CMS towards standard IT processes which minimize cost, improve service delivery, and boost effectiveness.
- Supports the creation of the configuration management process inclusive of routine inventory with existing or new solutions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field, or related experience
- 5+ years relevant work experience equivalency, desired
- 2+ years of leading cross-functional continuous improvement projects/enhancements
- 3+ years of supporting ITIL best practices
The IT Technical Job Family is utilized in Information Technology. Typically employees in this job family are required to design or maintain technology systems, to utilize various computer software programs, and to design, develop and/or provide advice and counsel on the operation of equipment, processes and procedures. They are responsible for ensuring adherence to laws and regulations applicable to Company employees. This job family includes Application Development, Infrastructure, Information Security, and Architecture.
Nature of Work
Duties can include network management, software development and database administration. May also provide technical support to a business or an organization’s employees and train non-technical workers on the business’ information systems. May design systems and assess the effectiveness of technology resources already in use or new systems that are being implemented. Determines the practicality of changes and modification of systems. Works with external partners, including consultants, agencies and vendors, to arrive at the most appropriate system or integration of multiple systems. With information technology constantly changing, must stay up-to-date on emerging technologies and the potential effectiveness of these advancements in their current system.
Works closely with department managers and users to define and analyze business and operational problems, process improvement opportunities and requirements; analyzes operational and business mandates and legal requirements; identifies and analyzes complex, ambiguous and/or conflicting business process issues; advises department managers on applications development, enhancement and maintenance issues; explains technology and process options and assists managers in analysis and decision making; analyzes management information needs and recommends data and reporting processes; coordinates the development of department priorities and works within IT to align initiatives to these priorities; facilitates user meetings and joint development sessions. Develops and refines business models and relationship diagrams; evaluates methods of improving efficiency and cost effectiveness of business, technical and operational processes; works with users to reengineer work processes; analyzes functional business requirements and translates user expectations into detailed business requirements, specifications and success criteria; works with Information Systems to develop conceptual proposals for business process automation initiatives; recommends work process and/or operational changes to complement system functionalities; serves as an advocate for department needs with IT; stays abreast of developments in departmental processes to anticipate emerging technology needs. Participates in the development of statements of work for RFPs/RFIs; participates in evaluating vendor applications and solutions; coordinates department review of vendor deliverables for accuracy and completeness, ensuring that department needs and requirements have been met. Develops significant application/hardware solutions to problems and addresses change request issues that require assignment of resources. Analyzes and troubleshoots complex and sometimes urgent applications problems and errors; takes action or communicates solutions to problems; answers technical questions and provides guidance to users on system functionalities and methods for correcting problems. Develops training materials and handouts; conducts user applications training classes and one-on-one training sessions; develops and maintains user and system documentation. Designs and generates custom reports to meet user needs; uses reporting tools to extract user-required data. Plans and coordinates the deployment of new technologies for client solutions; coordinates user acceptance testing and the resolution of problems identified. Regular attendance is expected.
Hours and Travel
Meet travel requirements of the position. Work a flexible schedule, which may include evenings, weekends, holidays and overtime.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear. The employee must lift and move up to twenty pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate