Requisition ID: 231565
Requisition Posting End Date: 07/31/2021
Work Location: Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabian Bechtel Company will provide project management consultancy services (including technical, commercial and construction management) for the development of certain defined aspects of the NEOM Infrastructure in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
NEOM is a planned cross-border city in the Tabuk Province of Northwestern Saudi Arabia. The site is near the Red Sea and the borders of Egypt, Israel and Jordan. It will cover a total area of 26,500 km2 (10,200 sq mi) and will extend 460 km along the coast of the Red Sea.”
NEOM will be the home and workplace to more than a million residents from around the world. It will include towns and cities, ports and enterprise zones, research centers, sports and entertainment venues, and tourist destinations. As a hub for innovation, entrepreneurs, business leaders and companies will come to research, incubate and commercialize new technologies and enterprises in groundbreaking ways.
Detailed Job Description
This role supports the Rail Systems Director in the coordination of the interfaces between the Backbone Engineering Consultant (BEC) and subsequent design and delivery contractors, rolling stock contractors, other contracting entity design packages and other stakeholders to ensure that the Interface Management processes and procedures are complied with and robustly implemented throughout the project lifecycle. This role provides technical oversight of activities relating to the Interface Management and supports the technical assurance for the various product and system Safety Cases and eventual NEOM Project Safety Case.
- Technical oversight and management of all Interface Management relevant Engineering activities so that they result in affordable and meet programme requirements in a safe and environmentally responsible manner for time, cost and quality.
- Ensure that robust safety management process is undertaken within the BEC and subsequent design and delivery contractors and identify any risks in the design of the operational railway.
- Support the specification and review of functions and characteristics of the operational railway identifying the system hazards and system assurance which will need to be addressed.
- Integrates and coordinates with the various Engineering and Systems Engineering disciplines.
- Responsible for ensuring the definition and management of all interfaces for their area of responsibility including technical, functional, internal and external to meet the NEOM Project Requirements
- Managing Interface meetings with design teams to:
- Develop processes for interface management
- Ensure the NEOM Interface Management process is followed
- Facilitate the identification of interfaces by the BEC and subsequent design and delivery contractors
- Facilitate the resolution of any cross-boundary interface issues to meet the requirements of the NEOM Project programme
- Monitor interface progress and closeout
- Provide support and guidance to assurance and engineering safety management activities as required. Review interface status reports from interfacing designers for consistency and accuracy, and identification of issues and risks
- Ensure the traceability and recording of agreements and changes
- Assist in the consistency of Interface Control Documents and specifications etc., by the design teams and the validation of the Interface Control Forms.
- Monitor interface progress and closeout.
- Providing inputs into the common NEOM Projects risk register and participating in its regular review and during the life of the project.
- Support the System Assurance and Integration Manager in review of system assurance documentation in order that the required system performance can be verified.
- Assist the System Assurance and Integration Manager with the review and acceptance of the design and delivery contractors Safety Cases for the elements, products and systems being delivered. The review and acceptance of the safety cases will take account of the safety argument and the safety evidence put forward incrementally, including supporting safety analyses and other supporting evidence/justifications.
- Support the NEOM Projects Independent Safety Assessor’s (ISA) review & coordinate the activities of and the resolution and closure of observations raised.
- Understand a live operational construction environment with significant safety hazards including moving trains and 25kV Overhead Line Electrification.
- Undertaking reviews of contractor design submittals relating to Interface Management.
- Undertaking reviews as required of other contractor technical submittals (including task briefs and work package plans) relating to Interface Management.
- Undertaking reviews of contractor inspection and test plans relating to Interface Management.
- Undertaking reviews of contractor handover plans.
- Support NEON Projects in the liaison with Shadow Operator, ISA and Rail operators appointed.
- Champions the creation of a work environment, supported by leadership, which fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction on the project or program.
- Take personal responsibility to ensure your own and others’ health and safety – including those who may be affected by the delivery of this role.
- Co‐operate in all matters relating to health, safety and environment, including following safe working procedures at all times and not deviating from agreed safe system of work.
- Advocate, promote and engage Bechtel’s health, safety and environmental policies and initiatives.
- Conducts annual performance reviews in accordance with approved procedures and holds career development discussions.
Essential Technical Skills:
- Degree or postgraduate qualification in science, engineering from an accredited university or equivalent qualification.
- Minimum of 15 years progressive experience in delivering rail projects.
- Excellent knowledge across all areas of mechanical and civil designs plus significant knowledge of rail systems.
- Significant experience in engineering disciplines, ideally with involvement in design and construction projects across multidiscipline areas.
- Successful Interface Management track record on a major multidisciplinary rail project.
- Thorough knowledge of discipline engineering techniques, the design of engineered systems, and engineering and design calculations.
- Understands the principles of EN 50126 standard.
- Knowledge of Common Safety Method
- Fully knowledgeable and conversant with relevant European, American and international civil engineering and railway codes and standards
- Knowledge of Requirements Management and associated tools.
- Broad knowledge of precedents in the rail industry.
- Strong English language communication and report writing skills.
- Ability to prepare clear strategic planning procedures and user-friendly templates to assist entities in undertaking forward, strategic planning.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe Design Suite software programs and have the ability to prepare reports.
Essential Behavioural Skills:
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills, be a team player and have a knowledge sharing approach.
- Will have consultancy experience.
- Ability to solve problems by thinking laterally and be able to understand the needs and requirements of the client, entities and their EPMO’s – in order to provide planning / design / feasibility solutions in a multi -disciplinary / multi – sectional context.
- Must be able to work within a multi-disciplinary, multi-cultural team and manage challenging multi-cultural relationships across a range of entities.
- Must be self-driven and able to plan and execute work without direct supervision from senior management and/or peers.
- Must to be flexible and adapt to working in a demanding PMO environment, including the need to travel and work remotely if / when required.
Preferred Technical Skills:
- Relevant knowledge of KSA and a sound understanding of the cultural norms and requirements of the region.
Living and Working on the NEOM Project is a single status assignment condition in various locations. This position is designated to KSA.
Due to COVID 19 challenges during the startup of the project special flights and quarantine accommodations will be provided, as required.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.