For 70 years, Charles River employees have worked together to assist in the discovery, development and safe manufacture of new drug therapies. When you join our family, you will have a significant impact on the health and well-being of people across the globe. Whether your background is in life sciences, finance, IT, sales or another area, your skills will play an important role in the work we perform. In return, we’ll help you build a career that you can feel passionate about.
As part of our continued growth we have an exciting opportunity for a talented, dedicated, and dynamic individual to provide scientific, managerial and operational leadership within the Discovery DMPK team. The successful candidate will be driven by a desire to provide specialist scientific input to drug discovery projects, working with a diverse range of global organisations, whilst uncovering solutions and inspiring your team to succeed. There is also the opportunity for the successful candidate to lead and own the on-going definition and implementation of operational and scientific process improvement across the department and business unit.
• To provide managerial leadership within the DMPK department, with responsibility for performance management, objective setting and providing feedback in a matrix management environment.
• To develop others through coaching, mentoring and motivate others to fulfil their potential.
• To represent the Early Discovery management team to all staff and contribute to the management and performance of the DMPK department.
• To provide ADME/DMPK expertise, including PK/PD and dose to man predictions, to drug discovery projects and innovate to help define project strategy and deliver agreed project objectives.
• To contribute to Business Development activities (e.g. proposal preparation, discussions with potential clients).
• To provide operational leadership within the department, including proactively influencing the departments scientific direction and developing optimised processes to improve effectiveness.
• To embrace change and be a role model to maintain a high preforming team.
• A background in ADME/DMPK in an industrial drug discovery setting.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills, as demonstrated both internally and externally.
• Experience in motivating and developing others, e.g. mentoring of junior scientists.
• A positive role model with a ‘can-do’ attitude, who contributes to departmental goals and promotes best practice.
• An effective team player; with the confidence to define your approach whilst listening to others to collaborate effectively with your peers.
• Broad experience of DMPK project support across different phases of drug discovery (e.g. active-to-hit, hit-to-lead, lead optimisation).
• An understanding of pharmacology and medicinal chemistry; you will be required to contribute to the strategy of project teams.
• Strong track record of scientific impact in projects with the ability to manage work across multiple projects.
• Exceptional problem-solving skills, sound scientific judgement and high-quality decision making, which impacts positively on project deliverables.
• Experience of identifying and implementing process change, including demonstration of the people skills required to enact change management.
• An interest in new technologies and alternative approaches.
• Models the Charles River Values of Care, Lead, Own and Collaborate.
• Must be able to work at Chesterford Park, Saffron Walden, near Cambridge, UK.
Discovery from Charles River is industry-proven in the successful development of novel therapies, with over 350 patents and 80 preclinical drug candidates delivered to our sponsors in the past 17 years. Backed by more than 650 scientists, our comprehensive, integrated portfolio employs the latest technology and platforms to provide chemistry, biology, and pharmacology services that support clients from the earliest stages of hit identification all the way through to IND. Our client-focused, collaborative approach creates true partnerships that anticipate challenges, overcome obstacles, and move us forward together on the journey of getting new drugs to market.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 17,000 employees within 90 facilities in 20 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world. And in 2019, revenue increased to $2.62 billion.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of ~85% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2019.