Responsible for care, cleaning, handling and reprocessing of instruments and equipment. Knowledge of instrumentation blood and body fluid precautions, disinfection techniques, and methods of sterilization. Takes inventory, orders, and stocks supplies within the department. Is responsible for indirect nursing care of patients as related to instrumentation for neonate, child, and adolescent, adult, and geriatric.
Responsible for providing coordination and assembly of surgery case carts. The processes include instrument and inventory management, restocking, proactive identification of supply/instrumentation needs, gathering of supplies needed for a specific case, and assist with O.R. sterilization processes. Knowledge of supplies, instrumentation, disinfection techniques, and methods of sterilization.
- Operates Decontamination equipment according to established Policy and Procedures and Manufacturer guidelines. Decontaminates and cleans instruments and equipment adhering to hospital policies for universal precautions.
- Inspects instruments and equipment to insure proper functioning, and notifies supervisor of unserviceable items.
- Assembles and wraps trays for sterilization following established procedures for completeness, labeling, and documentation.
- Loads and operates sterilizers according to established policies and procedures, documents the contents and processing information according to departmental policy.
- Performs quality assurance monitors and documentation for sterilization, including Bowie Dick, biological testing, chemical indicators, according to established policies and procedures.
- Communicates in timely manner with end user departments when sterilization or supplies are delayed or when a delay is anticipated so that alternative measures can be implemented to support other department’s requirements for sterile instruments or supplies.
- Performs assigned cleaning duties as scheduled to insure a clean and orderly environment.
- Accurately completes inventory lists for trays and surgeon preference cards, signs, and dates.
- Responds to requests from OR rooms with urgency and by priority.
- Anticipates OR nurses needs to prevent any problems from occurring.
- Writes self-evaluation and is able to recognize areas for growth and improvement. Participates with SPD Manager to plan realistic goals.
- Works at establishing a good rapport and good working relationship with departments and interdepartmental personnel.
- Participates in quality improvement activities for departmental and section specific processes.
- Exercises authority when appropriate, recognizing needs and directing activities to departmental advantage. Uses initiative to resolve problems with appropriate action and follow through, including documentation for Performance Improvement.
- Consistent scanning in SPM.
- Consistent log-in/log-out of systems, including but not limited to SPM.
- Ensure that quality patient care is delivered to all patients on a 24-hour basis, and the unit is maintained in accordance with professional and regulatory standards and the philosophy and goals of Hoag.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education, Training, and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Knowledge of surgical terminology, instrumentation, and supplies.
- Basic computer skills. Sterile processing experience.
Skill or Other Qualifications
- Demonstrates effective communication, interpersonal skills, organizational ability, knowledge of proper body mechanics, safety measures and infection prevention.
- Ability to follow instructions and knowledge of section specific test information and instrumentation may be required.
- Knowledge of supplies, instrumentation, disinfection techniques, and methods of sterilization.
License or Certifications
- IAHCSMM CRCST certification.