Location Name: Carson, CA
Job/Requisition ID: [[id]]
Location Address: 2350 East 223rd Street, Carson, CA, United States (US), 90810
Education Level: Bachelor’s Required
Relevant Experience Level: Mid Career (4-10 Years)
Employee Group: Regular – Full Time
Employee Subgroup: Salaried Exempt
The Instrument Engineer will be responsible for providing technical support to their assigned refinery process areas and assigned projects managed by the Mid-Cap project team. They will also be responsible for managing instrument focused projects, from conceptual engineering through detailed design, construction, and project completion. The Instrument Engineer will report to the Instrument Engineering Supervisor.
- Provide instrument technical support to operating areas and other Engineering disciplines.
- Ensure assigned projects comply with all applicable company and industry standards and best practices
- Performs primary and end element sizing, selection, and specification of field instrumentation including control valve sizing, thermowell vibration analysis, orifice calculations, etc.
- Provides input into P&ID (piping and instrumentation diagrams) to reflect field changes. Provide support for HAZOPs, LOPA’s and perform Management of Change (MOC) reviews as needed.
- Supports Project Engineers by serving as an instrumentation technical resource in gated Front-End Loading process for capital projects. As needed, serves as project engineer on small instrumentation projects.
- Provides technical input into scope preparation for improvement and replacement of instrumentation equipment. Provides technical specifications to Procurement for sourcing/requisition activities.
- Ensure appropriate interdisciplinary coordination and efficient communication on every day assignments and projects.
- Identifies new instrument technologies and performs feasibility analyses. Creates instrument datasheets and reviews datasheets written by others.
- Supports SIS Safety Lifecycle program reviewing Safety Requirement Specifications (SRS), reviews Safety Integrity Level (SIL) and SIL ratings for Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS) devices.
- Works with other departments to ensure personnel understand function, capabilities and limitations of instrumentation.
- Develops and performs factory acceptance tests and site acceptance tests. Collaborates in the commissioning and start-up activities, including; loop checking and calibration of instruments.
Experience and Education
- Minimum undergraduate degree in chemical, electrical or mechanical engineering required.
- Minimum 7 years instrumentation engineering experience in a refinery, chemical plant, or similar industry required.
- Willingness and ability to travel in order to fulfill responsibilities of this position. Anticipated travel is 5% of full-time basis.
About Marathon Petroleum Corporation
Marathon Petroleum Corporation is a leading, integrated, downstream energy company headquartered in Findlay, Ohio. The company operates the nation’s largest refining system with more than 3 million barrels per day of crude oil capacity across 16 refineries. Marathon Petroleum's marketing system includes branded locations across the United States, including Marathon branded outlets. Speedway LLC, a Marathon Petroleum subsidiary, owns and operates retail convenience stores across the United States. MPC also owns the general partner and majority limited partner interest in MPLX LP, a midstream company which owns and operates gathering, processing, and fractionation assets, as well as crude oil and light product transportation and logistics infrastructure.
Travel Expected: Up to 10%
Marathon Petroleum Company LP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition or AIDS/HIV status, ancestry, national origin, genetic information, military, veteran status, marital status, citizenship or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, click here.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process at Marathon Petroleum LP, please contact our Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify the reasonable accommodation you are requesting, along with the job posting number in which you may be interested. A Human Resources representative will review your request and contact you to discuss a reasonable accommodation.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Veteran / Disability
Marathon Petroleum Company LP participates in the E-Verify program in some states in which it operates (including AL, AZ, GA, MS, NC, SC, TN, and UT). For more information before proceeding, please see details in English or Spanish. Right to Work Statement English or Spanish.
To view benefit information for Marathon Petroleum Corporation please visit mympcbenefits.com.