NRG is the leading integrated power company in the U.S., built on the strength of our diverse competitive electric generation portfolio and leading retail electricity platform. A Fortune 500 company, NRG creates value through best-in-class operations, reliable and efficient electric generation, and a retail platform serving residential and commercial businesses. Working with electricity customers large and small, we implement sustainable solutions for producing and managing energy, developing smarter energy choices and delivering exceptional service as our retail electricity providers serve almost three million residential and commercial customers throughout the country.
More information is available at www.nrg.com. Connect with NRG Energy on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @nrgenergy.
Provide maintenance support for inspection, installation, troubleshooting, calibration, and general maintenance of all plant instrumentation associated with the boiler, turbine, auxiliary, environmental, water treatment, and waste water systems. Use, develop, and revise calibration and preventive maintenance procedures and guidelines/practices; refer to and interpret technical manuals; read electrical wiring diagrams, schematics, and P&IDs. Perform basic technical skills such as soldering, tube bending, diagnostics and troubleshooting problems with microprocessor-based, electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatic instrumentation and control systems. Perform all activities in accordance with applicable health, safety, and environmental standards. Utilize computer-based work management system as required to perform work duties. Perform all activities in a high quality manner to achieve best industry practices; perform general cleaning and housekeeping duties; interact with station personnel, contractors, and others as needed to perform assigned duties. Respond to overtime requests including working weekends, holidays, and nights. Handle special assignments and perform related work as required.
- Troubleshooting, isolating and correcting problems with instrumentation and controls for various plant processes: Combustion controls, Burner Management, Boiler Auxiliaries, Turbine/Generator including Turbine Supervisory Instrumentation, Turbine Valves, and Auxiliaries, Auxiliary Packaged Boiler, Water Treatment, Waste Water, and Environmental Systems.
- Inspect, maintain, clean, calibrate, adjust, replace, and repair all plant instrumentation of types: microprocessor-based, electrical, mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic. Included but not limited to instruments such as manometers, gauges, flow meters, thermometers, air-operated control valves, electric drives, water chemistry analyzers, and Continuous Emissions Monitoring.
- Maintenance and repair of all plant instrumentation will include updating computer-based instrument calibration database (Loveland), and adhering to calibration due date schedule.
- Assist in the planning and layout of jobs including identification and requesting of equipment, replacement parts/components, and other necessary supplies needed to successfully complete job have been ordered and received.
- Read, interpret, and implement technical information to daily tasks, found in vendor and OEM technical manuals, electrical wiring diagrams and schematics, mechanical P&IDs, Operating and maintenance procedures and technical instructions.
- Demonstrate ability to use portable test equipment such as calibrators, communicators, and digital multimeters in the performance of troubleshooting instrumentation and controls.
- Maintain safe work practices by conducting pre-job briefings, “Two Minute Drill”, job safety analysis, obtain necessary work permits, and administer required LOTO isolations.
- Utilize computer-based work management system (SAP) to prioritize work, generate task list, document work completed, and identify who performed the work.
- Operate mobile equipment such as forklifts, scissor lifts, and articulating boom lifts.
- Participate in ongoing training including computer-based training for safe work practices, maintaining and enhancing skills required to safely perform all assigned duties and assist in the trainings of others in the form of on-the-job training.
- Assist and work with other job classifications as required.
- This position is exposed to both indoor and outdoor environmental conditions, cold and hot temperatures and moderate to high noise levels.
- Must receive a rating of “Recommended” on the NRG Pre-employment Assessment test.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Completion of formal apprenticeship program or equivalent combination of work experience and technical training required.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience with two years of formal training.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in troubleshooting, repair, and maintenance of instrumentation and control systems in a power plant environment or similar industrial setting if candidate has less than two years of formal training .
- Associates degree or two year technical program from a technical school or community college in the area of Electrical/Electronic Automated Systems or Industrial Electrical/Maintenance Technology.
- Power Plant experience or similar industrial setting.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have knowledge of job safety requirements, strong verbal and written communications skills, interpersonal skills and possess a demonstrated ability to learn.
- This position is exposed to both indoor and outdoor environmental conditions, cold and hot temperatures and moderate to high noise levels. The position requires a person to occasionally bend, stoop, reach, push, pull, walk, sit, stand and climb.
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability
EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant’s experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources