Join a diverse and dynamic team that makes and delivers the most valuable services in the world: electricity and natural gas. At Consumers Energy, our customers are at the heart of everything we do. Our employees work around the clock to provide service to our customers in honor of our history and to fulfill our promise to Michigan – Count on Us! Consumers Energy, the principal subsidiary of CMS Energy and headquartered in Jackson, Michigan, provides natural gas and electricity to nearly 6.8 million of Michigan’s 10 million residents in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties.
This position will be engineering support for Consumers Energy’s High Voltage Distribution (HVD) electric lines in the areas of standards and materials. Responsibilities also include overseeing compliance within the development of standards and emerging technologies to all applicable regulatory rules and codes (including those from the MPSC, ANSI, ASCE, NESC, IEEE, etc.) while finding standard solutions to complex electric system problems and innovative solutions (emerging technologies, new standards and materials, etc.) to further the advancement of the Company’s HVD lines electric system. The position requires cross functional cooperation with construction and design organizations regarding project support and application of standards, as well as communication of these department documents to impacted groups in a concise manner that allows precise application of the standards and technology while working to protect the public.
- Support development and management of Consumers’ HVD electric lines Sub transmission and Transmission Construction Standards books, Engineering Data book, Material Specifications, and Design Guidelines. This development includes but it not limited to principles, policies, procedures, and practices that comply with appropriate regulatory rules of the Michigan Public Service Commission, the National Electric Safety Code, the American National Standards Institute, American Society of Civil Engineers, and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.
- Engage in process improvement projects that utilize changing technologies to gain efficiencies. These may include migration of existing sites and tools to new platforms and conversion of the programs leveraged for storing, updating, and disseminating key information in the Standards manuals (books). These projects often involve partnering with multiple Consumers workgroups outside of the standards department and with venders to investigate, bid, select, and implement new technologies.
- Develop and oversee the dissemination of principles, policies, procedures, and practices in a way that ensures consistent application among HVD electric Engineering leads as well as designers, construction personnel, and planners across the Company.
- Continuously evaluate existing standards, documents, and materials, develop new standards and documents, establish new standard materials on CE’s system, and explore emerging technologies and different materials as they pertain to the utility industry for application on HVD electric lines. This includes developing and maintaining extensive internal and external interfaces with key stakeholders for the purpose of investigating and establishing feasibility, procuring and installing materials, and updating existing and implementing new standards, practices, procedures, etc.
- Address concerns, investigate suggestions, and provide support, direction, and recommendations to the primary users (construction and design) of the HVD electric line standards documents.
- Understand MPSC, NESC, ANSI, ASCE, and IEEE rules as they apply to the high voltage distribution electric systems.
- Knowledge of the Subtransmission and Transmission Standards books, Engineering Data book, tools and work methods, construction practices, and safety manuals.
- Must be able to research and understand advanced industry treads and provide utility benchmarking.
- Communication and presentation skills.
- Leadership skills.
- At least 2 years of applied ABET engineering experience.
- A Bachelor’s degree in engineering from an ABET accredited program as set forth in the Engineers Council for Professional Development
Position will be filled at the appropriate salary grade based upon the skills, knowledge, and experience of the selected candidate.
Location is Jackson- Parnall – remote work is available
- Planning, design, construction, and maintenance of Electric and Gas Distribution and Electric Generation systems as well as facilities and ancillary support process for all utility operations.
- Duties and who this individual reports to will fluctuate between projects, Practice Areas, and offices. Individual possesses the skills lead, problem solve, and work well in a team environment.
- Individual should exemplify safe work practices and follow the company’s compliance standards.
- Lead and/or assist with engineering projects to include design, plans, inspections, system planning, specifications, reports, maps, environmental impacts, permits, contracts, schedules, estimates, surveying, easements, data collection, construction observation, and field investigation.
- Provide engineering services with accuracy, integrating all applicable governmental and company laws, standards and procedures on time and under budget. Use computer assisted engineering, design, and drafting software and equipment to prepare engineering and design documents.
- Understand and follow company established standard procedures for file structure and standard drawing procedures for projects.
- Become familiar with plans and specifications, maps, and related material for each project and be able to utilize the information appropriately. Assists in client contact and communication.
- Utilize effective oral and written communication skills to provide technical expertise to coworkers, clients, customers, government entities and the public.
- Public involvement may include producing reports, graphics, presentations, and other visual material as well as occasional speaking or meeting with stakeholders.
- Attend internal and external meetings.
- Provide all engineering services in a legal and ethical manner.
- Resolve all customer complaints in a timely manner.
- Serve as onsite project representative.
- Reviews operating and construction sites to monitor progress and other duties per the design documents.
- Regular attendance is expected.
Hours and Travel
This position requires the individual work a minimum of 40 hours per week (45-50 typical) with 85% of time spent in the office or specific field locations. Travel is required to job sites and project meetings and could be significant dependent upon location. Individuals need to be willing to work additional hours as necessary to meet deadlines or assist with storm restoration activities. Individual should be willing to participate in the on call rotation in case of potential storms. Individual may have to work outside of assigned headquarters to help with storm restoration which may require overnight stays Individuals must have a valid driver’s license.
- Insurance- Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K
- Policies- Parental Leave
- Flexible work hours and location
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions