Requisition ID: 240879
Requisition Posting End Date: 10/27/2021
Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world’s infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place.
Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers’ objectives to create a lasting positive impact.
We serve the Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy, and Mining & Metals markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations. Core to Bechtel are our values – ethics, safety, quality, people, culture, relationships, innovation and sustainability, and our covenants – integrity, respect, collaboration, trust, and delivery. They are what we believe, what customers can expect, and how we deliver.
An opportunity exists within the Bechtel project team to work closely with our customer on the Jadar Project. Jadar will be one of the largest greenfield projects ever built in Serbia, and the first delivered by M&M in the country. It will produce approximately 10 percent of the world’s lithium with 56,000 tpa of lithium carbonate, as well as boric acid (286,000 tpa) and sodium sulphate (252,000 tpa). The Jadar Project consists of the world’s largest deposit (136 Mt) of the newly discovered mineral Jadarite (
pronounced “yadarite”). The complex project is located near Loznica, approximately 140 km from Serbia’s capital Belgrade. Jadar includes an underground mine accessed by two vertical shafts, a processing plant, an industrial waste facility and associated infrastructure.
This position will temporarily be based in Belgrade for 6-10 months, and then will transition to Loznica on a long-term camp status assignment.
The HSEC Manager develops and implements Health, Safety, Environment and Community (HSEC) management programs, systems and processes; provides the technical oversight of the HSEC activities at a project level; serves as the recognised expert in matters relating to HSEC; and provides the overall support for the project to be successful in controlling the risk of harm to people, property, the environment and the community.
- Develop and maintain a HSEC program (plans, systems, procedures, standards) to control risks
- Adopts client and regulatory requirements where required by contract or law
- supports the Project, Site and functional managers, in the implementation of the HSEC program
- Ensures complete compliance with all Serbian laws and regulations
- Monitors the implementation of the HSEC program and reports successes and areas of improvement
- Identifies and assesses best practices for implementation
- Evolves and adapts the HSEC program through the project stages
- Develops and maintains a plan of activities aligned with the project schedule and risk factors
- Develops, supervises and maintains a team that provides in-field HSEC support to all project levels
- Liaises and openly communicates with the GBU ESH Manager on project status, needs and strategies
- Maintains a collaborative, working relationship with client representatives
- Develops a defined budget for HSEC needs and controls cost to that budget
- Participates in the senior leadership HSEC meeting that sets and monitors the project HSEC strategy
- Where appropriate, acts as the lead investigator for any serious incident on project
- Acts as the single point of contact for all HSEC communication with government agencies
- Leadership skills to enable a team to be successful – coach, mentor, participate, direct
- Professional skill set to deliver quality HSEC programs, reporting and monitoring
- High level of written and verbal communication
- Attributes that openly display HSEC as a personal value
Essential Experience/ Knowledge:
- 10+ years of HSE experience in the industrial construction or heavy engineering industry
- 4+ years of experience directly supervising a team of environmental, safety and health professionals (≥ 5 people)
- 2+ years international experience on an underground mine and a large and complex process plant construction project
- Experience in the application of Bechtel and Rio Tinto standards
- Experience in influencing at a project senior leadership level
- Knowledge of construction planning through the project stages of feasibility, execution and close-out
- Experience in managing and/or providing technical oversight of HSE subcontractors or consultants where the first language is not English
- Experience in working in hot and
- cold climates anticipated in Serbia
- Experience in working with contractors and / or a workforce that may not be as invested in the level of health, safety and environment that Rio Tinto and Bechtel bring to their projects
Desired Skills, Experience, Knowledge, Qualification:
Experience in the underground mining industry
Bachelor degree or higher in an environmental, safety or health discipline
Experience working in Serbia
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.