Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
A C&S (Communications & Signals) Helper assists Signal Employees in corrective and preventative maintenance and construction of signal equipment such as wayside signals, crossing equipment and electric switch machines. This work involves digging, trenching, painting, wiring, and cabling at both inside and outside locations and being a watchman when required. The C&S Helper also operates company vehicles in the performance of their duties as required. Applicants must be able and willing to understand and apply safety rules, practice safe work habits, identify safety risks and avoid potentially risky behaviors and situations. Performance testing will be required for promotion to Signal Maintainer.
Starting hourly wage $26.05 plus benefits with $36 an hour once Signal Maintainer Qualifications are complete.
- The C&S Helper also operates company vehicles in the performance of their duties as required.
- Applicants must be able and willing to understand and apply safety rules, practice safe work habits, identify safety risks and avoid potentially risky behaviors and situations.
- Must be a minimum of 18 years of age and a high school graduate.
- Applicants must have a valid driver’s license on the date of hire. CDL License preferred.
- Must be able to perform heavy physical labor.
- Must be able to read and understand job information written in English.
- Applicants must be able to perform basic mathematical computations including fractions and decimals.
- Ability to pass required training with written exams including two weeks of safety training and required department training modules over a 10-month period to progress to qualified maintainer.
- Previous construction experience and/or experience operating construction equipment preferred.
- Electronic/electrical background or education, military or civilian, preferred but not required.
- Communications signal, electrical and/or electronic experience preferred.
- Previous railroad experience in signaling preferred but not required.
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
Posting Location(s):New Jersey
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Engineering || Engineering & Mechanical