Requisition ID: 32213
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
This is skilled, specialized technical work involved in the operation, inspection, maintenance, repair and installation of stage and broadcast video equipment. An incumbent plans, coordinates, operates and supervises crews working with in-house video systems, as well as overseeing contractors providing supplementary video services.
In addition, the incumbent provides technical advice to lessees, organization representatives and theatre management in order to ensure optimum presentation of events and activities involving the theatres’ systems, imported systems or a combination of both.
An incumbent of this class exercises a high degree of independence of action and judgment in all related technical work including planning, advising, and supervision of crews. Assignments are received from the Senior Manager, Production who evaluates work performance in terms of the attainment of technical and operational objectives. The incumbent will be based out of the QET/ Playhouse Theatres, but will be expected to work in all VCT venues.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
Reporting to: Senior Manager, Production
- Evaluates systems, equipment and fixtures with respect to operational demands and develops with supervisor, annual maintenance, repair, overhaul, replacement and upgrade plans and schedules.
- Performs and/or supervises maintenance, repairs, overhauls, installations and upgrades. Executes the proper storage and security of equipment.
- Provides internal and external users with a variety of advice and assistance on matters related to presenting events at the theatres. This work may include creating or adapting video designs as well as temporary system (rental) designs, temporary distribution systems, etc.
- Maintains a positive relationship with clients through effective communication
- Plans, coordinates and supervises event installations and operations; operates complex computerized and/or manual control systems and other equipment as required by the event.
- Ability to solve and trouble-shoot technical problems which may arise during an event
- Supervises and coordinates the work of crews assigned, trains new and unfamiliar crew members and provides leadership in establishing high standards of operating efficiency, safe work practices and customer service.
- Assists other stage and/or theatre departments where required.
- Researches and provides information for budget submissions.
- Checks, maintains, orders and replaces stock and equipment and prepares and maintains records of work performed.
- Performs related work as required.
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Completion of two-year college-level technical diploma or the equivalent, and at least three years full-time experience at an equivalent level of responsibility in the core area of work following completion of post-secondary education.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the methods, practices, techniques, electrical systems, equipment, fixtures, tools and materials utilized in the provision of video services in theatre complexes.
- Considerable knowledge of the hazards and proper safety precautions required.
- Sound knowledge of all applicable collective agreements, codes, regulations, policies and operating procedures governing the work performed.
- Ability to perform skilled maintenance and repair work on the equipment, fixtures and systems listed above.
- Ability to work from plans, drawings and sketches.
- Ability to meet, communicate effectively with and assist internal and external customers in achieving their objectives, and interact in a positive manner with a diverse clientele.
- Ability to effectively lead and supervise the work of large crews under demanding and pressured conditions; ability to work to deadlines and with irregular schedules.
- Ability to prepare and maintain records, material and equipment estimates and order same as required.
- Skilled in the use of the variety of tools, equipment, materials and systems involved in stage productions.
- Excellent computer skills and software knowledge
- Ability to perform all duties to a high standard and be able to support the needs of the customer with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to accommodate a flexible work schedule that includes nights and weekends. Excellent time management skills
- Portrays a polished, professional image.
- Must work well under pressure and be able to manage deadlines
- Ability to lift heavy objects
- Understanding and knowledge of audio systems as they relate to theatre is desireable
Required Licenses and Certificates:
- L.P.E.C. (Live Performance Electrical Certificate)
Other desirable qualifications:
Experience in electronics repair
Business Unit/Department: Arts, Culture and Community Services (1200)
Affiliation: IATSE 118
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-082: $37.21 to $40.35 per hour
Position Start Date: August, 2021
Number of Position: 1
Application Close: August 4, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply through our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.