SSC Services for Education is known for our expertise, commitment, and value; and we at SSC truly believe that our people are our greatest asset. By utilizing our associates’ knowledge and experience alongside SSC’s extensive training, providing supportive management, and offering unparalleled wage and benefit packages as well as career advancement opportunities, we have developed a workforce that differentiates us from our competitors.
SSC Services for Education is a Nationwide Best in Class Facility Service Provider. As a member of Compass Group, North America, we want you to be as great as you can be. We empower our associates to direct their own future, keeping them confident that we support them every step of the way. As a result, our associates embody greatness through their actions, natural passion for quality, and a can-do attitude. The opportunity for greatness is real at SSC and throughout the Compass world.
The Assistant Grounds Manager provides leadership/ direction for a multi-faceted operation within grounds department. The focus of this job: work hands-on in leading, instructing, and educating various team members, emphasizing good horticulture practices, and provide quality landscape management. Be disciplined and motivated to take stewardship of work responsibilities and remain organized. Coordinate with team leaders on projects and special events in a teamwork environment. Provide support to maintenance management operations as requested by Unit Director.
- Properly train staff in operational procedures for operations
- Ensure Quality Assurance of work performed through recorded Q/A system and frequent inspections of team as work is performed.
- Train team/ staff in proper methods, protocol for horticulture using SOP’s (development may be required).
- Ability to work in field under extreme weather conditions, approximate work load 70% field work 30% administrative.
- Control expenses within the scope of responsibility.
- Provide weekly operating reports to Grounds Manager/ Unit Director/ VP Grounds Management.
- Responsible for productivity and staffing that is appropriate to achieved results as outlined by Grounds Manager and Unit Director.
- Conduct and assist in interviewing, hiring and progressive counseling/ coaching.
- Maintain and support client satisfaction to ensure account retention
- Assist in customizing programs to meet client’s unique needs as required
- Training; Stay current with all requirements of job/ licenses and or certifications
- Train for safety compliance, operational procedures, and company policies
- Compliance, ensure compliance with SSC Compass, local, state and federal requirements which may include record keeping, training, or license/ certifications. Inclusive of SDS, pesticide records.
- Willing to travel overnight including flying for training or support
- Maintain logs for equipment maintenance and repairs
- Manage inventory levels for grounds supplies and insure proper purchasing procedures are followed
- Participate in various committees on campus in related to campus beautification and events
- Either formal education of advanced industry certifications in ornamental horticulture and five years progressive experience in landscape management and grounds supervision with emphasis on horticulture or athletic field management.
- Exhibits initiative, responsibility, flexibility and leadership.
- Possess a thorough knowledge of contract administration and office procedures.
- Excellent communication with senior client & internal staff
- Knowledge of trees, shrubs, plants, woody ornamentals, grasses, vines, and ground covers.
- Comprehension of landscape tools, tool maintenance, handling of small equipment (weed trimmer, pruning shears, loppers, hand prunes, nursery spade, shovel and rake) and minor repairs.
- Ability to communicate effectively in written format and oral presentations.
- Ability to multi-task and establish priorities.
- Experience managing employees.
- Ability to maintain organization in a changing environment.
- Work in inclement weather, lift, bend, stoop and occasionally pick up 50lbs.
- Ability to work off/ non-scheduled hours because of campus functions/ crop/ weather requirements
- Commercial Pesticide License in category of Turf & Ornamentals
- Operate/ drive grounds related equipment & vehicles
- Knowledge or willingness to learn how to operate large equipment including tractor, skid steer, mower, sod cutter, trencher etc.
- Associate or Bachelor’s Degree in horticulture, landscape management or related field and/or equivalent work experience required.
- Certified Grounds Technician, Certified Arborist, Irrigators License, Master Gardener, , Commercial Pesticide License, or any grounds related certification.
- The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills for this classification. Responsibilities and duties assigned are at the discretion of the management team.
Apply to SSC today!
SSC is a member of Compass Group USA
Click here to Learn More about the Compass Story
Compass Group is an equal opportunity employer. At Compass, we are committed to treating all Applicants and Associates fairly based on their abilities, achievements, and experience without regard to race, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by law.
Qualified candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily with or without a reasonable accommodation. Disclaimer: this job post is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all essential responsibilities, skills, tasks, or requirements associated with this position. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the position posted, the Company reserves the right to modify or change the essential functions of the job based on business necessity. *Los Angeles applicants: Compass Group will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring (Ban the Box ordinance)
Associates at SSC are offered many fantastic benefits.
- Life Insurance/ AD
- Disability Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Holiday Time Off (varies by site/state)
- Associate Shopping Program
- Health and Wellness Programs
- Discount Marketplace
- Identity Theft Protection
- Pet Insurance
- Commuter Benefits
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
Req ID: 887220