Requisition ID: 240902
Requisition Posting End Date: 11/03/2021
HS2 is a hugely important project for the country as it will generate economic opportunities for those communities and businesses between Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and beyond. HS2 will play an increasingly important part in the post Covid-19 pandemic recovery and this team is a key part of the engine to make this happen . As a Delivery Partner, Bechtel provides expert engineering, environmental, engagement and project management support across Phase 2b. We focus on the delivery of Hybrid Bills and advice to HS2’s client, the Department of Transport, to assist her Majesty’s Government in making investment decisions.
The position carries part-time teleworking flexibility based on 5 days per fortnight but this will be subject to periodic review as directed by the client. The client also seeks baseline security clearance.
Bechtel has worked on the UK’s largest and most complex rail projects including HS1, Tube Lines, Crossrail, West Coast Mainline and Great Western Route Modernisation. HS2 will add to this iconic portfolio. We share our client, HS2’s values with Safety, Sustainability and Innovation, at the heart of what we believe; respect, integrity, trust an collaboration describes how we deliver.
1. JOB PURPOSE
Ground Investigation (GI) surveys are required to support the emerging design during the passage of Hybrid Bill for HS2 Phase 2B.
The surveys will also enable the main works Civil Engineering contractors to formulate tenders and initiate further design development post Royal Assent.
2. REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS
The Ground Investigation Project Manager will operate within the Delivery Team reporting directly to the Head of Delivery.
The role is based in Birmingham however the Ground Investigation Project Manager will be given responsibilities along the Phase 2B route. Travel to and from the head office (Birmingham) to locations along the line of route is required.
Titles of all direct reports to this job:
Titles of all direct reports to the same line manager:
· Project Manager (1.) and Area Managers (6.)
3. ROLE OF DIRECTORATE/DEPARTMENT
The Phase 2b team operates within the Development Directorate and is charged with delivery of the route from Birmingham to both Manchester and Leeds. In order to do this, the team is focused on delivery of a Hybrid Bill in 2019 and subsequent progression of that Bill through the Parliamentary process in order to gain the powers to deliver this section of railway. The team is also planning for the construction phase of the programme, which follows the Parliamentary process, and will deliver an operational railway in 2033.
· Monitoring of Principal Contractor progress in accordance with the approved programme of Ground Investigation site activities
· Undertake site surveillance of Ground Investigation works. This includes monitoring behaviours and activities to provide progressive assurance of technical reporting, site operations, project management and health, safety, security and environmental performance
· Ensuring that all site activities are undertaken in accordance with HS2 Land Access process and compliance with land owner specific requirements
· Facilitating liaison with stakeholders and 3rd parties as required
· Implementation of CDM control point process and discharge of client and principal designer CDM duties
· Ensuring timely reporting and investigation by the Principal Contractor of all site incidents and accidents in accordance with HS2 requirements
· It is expected that the role holder will actively promote and embed equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI) in all work activities and will comply with all organisational activities, policies and procedures on EDI.
5. REQUIRED CRITERIA
· Proven ability managing individuals, contractors and working across multi-disciplinary teams.
· Degree in Civil Engineering
· Chartered Engineer (or equivalent relevant experience)
TYPE OF EXPERIENCE
· Experience supporting organisations to provide assurance of compliance with CDM regulations
· Experience of Ground Investigation supervision
· Ability to communicate and establish effective working relationships with colleagues, contractor organisations, stakeholders and third parties
6. DECISION MAKING
The post holder works within broadly defined guidelines, principles and policies providing an influential role persuading and advising others in achieving project goals
The following decisions are referred for approval:
· Departures to Standards
HS2 Phase 2B is a route length of almost 300km including 4no. stations, 2no. rolling stock depots and an infrastructure maintenance depot.
8. KEY CONTACTS
The role involves managing and maintaining a wide range of relationships with internal and external stakeholders. Key internal stakeholders include the Hybrid Bill Delivery Team, the Technical Directorate, Land and Property Directorate, Design Consultant organisations and appointed Ground Investigation contractor teams. Key external stakeholders include local authorities and land owners.
9. COMPLEXITY (Describe the two or three things that provide most complexity in the job)
· Facilitating the on-site mobilisation of Ground Investigation contractor teams
· Ensuring that Ground Investigation activities are undertaken timely and in accordance with safety and quality standards.
10. HEALTH AND SAFETY
Take reasonable care to ensure your own and others’ health and safety – including those who may be affected by the day-to-day delivery of this role – by taking personal responsibility for working to the HS2 Safe at Heart programme principles.
Co-operate with HS2 in all matters relating to health and safety, including following safe working procedures at all times and not interfering with measures in place to protect your health, safety or welfare.
Advocate and promote the company’s well-being strategy and policies.
In signing this job description the job holder is agreeing that they have read, understood and agreed to the role and its accountabilities. Where material changes arise, it is the joint responsibility of the role holder and line manager to have the document updated.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
In accordance with Bechtel’s duty to provide and maintain a safe workplace for our employees and to safeguard the health of our families, customers, and visitors, we have adopted mandatory COVID-19 safety protocols for each work location, which may include a vaccination or testing requirement. Please speak with your Bechtel recruiter to determine which protocols apply to the work location for the job you are seeking.