BJ’s Wholesale Club was the first retailer to introduce the warehouse club concept in the northeastern United States. Today, we’re a multibillion dollar operation with more than 200 clubs in 17 states from Maine to Florida.
While our Members know us for helping them save up to 25% off grocery prices every day, our Team Members love us for providing a supportive and engaging workplace that’s committed to developing great talent.
If you’re a motivated and enthusiastic person who enjoys working collaboratively and is committed to providing great service for our Members, we want to hear from you. BJ’s offers a fast-paced, team environment with great training opportunities and competitive salary and benefits packages to help you succeed.
GENERAL MANAGER IN TRAINING
The General Manager is the leader of a BJ’s club. Responsible for leading the operations and profitability of the club, delivering on company strategic priorities, providing market-leading value on merchandise and services, excellent member experience, managing Team Members and developing talent, and ensuring a safe and positive environment and experience for Team Members and Members.
Major Tasks, Responsibilities, and Key Accountabilities
- Effectively leads the team by managing with vision and purpose, clearly communicating and giving direction, and validating results.
- Creates a club culture where team members feel challenged, know how to be successful, are encouraged to do their best, and are recognized for their accomplishments.
- Manages talent and builds a strong bench by encouraging team member growth and development, holding team members accountable, having difficult conversations, and providing honest and actionable feedback.
- Learns quickly and adapts to change. Effectively communicates to team members to enable them to do their jobs effectively by sharing necessary information, explaining the “why’s”, and keeping messaging simple.
- Exhibits strong decision-making capabilities that align with the Company’s strategic priorities and support the achievement of club operational goals and objectives.
- Maintains awareness of local competition and current trends in the retail marketplace.
- Controls operating costs and establishes operational efficiencies.
- Implement new concepts to maximize profitability.
- Embraces the Company’s core values / purpose and ensures team members do the same. Creates a great shopping experience for members that is dedicated to exceeding member expectations.
- Meets planned profit objectives through effective techniques, technological improvements and productivity enhancements. Monitors expenses and adjusts expenditures as necessary to achieve profit objectives.
- Attains planned sales volume through effective supervision of warehouse management and communication with the Home Office.
- Maintains a roadmap for achieving targets in key performance areas designated by Home Office, such as productivity (sales/hours, audit, shrink, turnover).
- 4+ years of experience as a retail store, supermarket, or warehouse operations manager required.
- A strong drive for results and solid work ethic is required. Must be honest, straight-forward and committed to providing high levels of service to members.
- Excellent communication skills required. Must be able to lead and motivate a large team.
- Solid understanding of profit & loss statements, shrink control, staff development, merchandising, customer service, problem solving and conflict resolution required.
- High school diploma and/or college degree preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities, including managing/supervising cross-functional teams, training team members, and driving and communicating results.
- Open shift availability required.
- At least 18 years of age.
Environmental Job Conditions
- Most of the time is spent moving about frequently on hard surfaces. There may be a need to occasionally position oneself to examine or scan merchandise, which may also require bending, pulling, reaching, climbing and/or stooping.
- Frequently requires lifting objects up to 30 pounds. May require lifting and moving heavy and/or awkward objects in excess of 30 pounds with assistance.
- Located in a comfortable indoor area with frequent exposure to temperature extremes and loud noises. There may be occasional exposure to cleaning agents.
BJ’s Wholesale Club is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all qualified team members and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, physical and/or mental disability, genetic information, atypical cellular or blood trait, marital and/or familial status, pregnancy, gender identity and expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.