Work Schedule/Days: Variable / Variable
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: Scottish Rite
Requisition #: 77785
To provide Anesthesia and related care to the surgical patient during the immediate pre-, intra-, and post-operative period. Works collaboratively with members of team to proactively support the efforts that ensure delivery of safe patient care and services and to promote a safe environment at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta.
• Master’s degree in Medical Science; or
• Master’s or Doctorate in Nursing with a concentration in Anesthesia. (The terminal degree for CRNA is now a Doctorate of Nursing Practice)
- National Commission on Certification for Anesthesiologist Assistants (NCCAA) certification or Certification as a Nurse Anesthetist by the NBCRNA
- Current Licensure as a Physician’s Assistant – Anesthetist in the state of Georgia OR Licensure as a Registered Nurse in the single State of Georgia or Multi-State through the Enhanced Nurse Licensure Compact and Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) licensure in the state of Georgia
- Basic Life Support (BLS) issued from the American Heart Association upon hire
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) from the American Heart Association within 60 days of hire
• No minimum experience required
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS & ABILITIES*
- Demonstrated writing skills in order to make entries on anesthesia record
- Demonstrated speaking and listening skills in order to communicate effectively with patients and staff
- Must be able to successfully pass the Basic Windows Skill Assessment at 80% or higher rating within 30 days of the date of hire
- Induces, maintains, and discontinues anesthetics as directed by the Anesthesiologist.
- Regularly monitors patient by viewing and analyzing ECG, temperature, heart and breath sounds, noninvasive/invasive arterial blood pressure, gas analyzers, and other vital signs (including central venous, pulmonary arterial, and intracardiac pressures when appropriate) and equipment. Monitors arterial blood gas, hematocrit and hemoglobin, and other measures determined appropriate by consultation with Anesthesiologist.
- Prepares selected drugs and equipment necessary for the conduct of the planned anesthetic.
- Manages pre-, intra-, and post-operative care, including ventilator support placement of intravenous, arterial, and central venous lines, and blood product transfusions as directed by the Anesthesiologist.
- Promptly records complete and pertinent anesthetic information on the anesthesia record.
- Instructs others in principles and practices of anesthesia, respiratory care, and CPR as directed by an Anesthesiologist.
- Performs initial acute CPR in life-threatening situations or as directed by a physician.
- Assists the Anesthesiologist in gathering routine pre-operative data.
- Chooses appropriate anesthesia and drugs to be administered in life-threatening emergencies where standard orders for resuscitation or therapy are routine or where the standard orders for the conduct of a specified anesthetic are prescribed.
- Visits patients post-operatively to determine quality of recovery and to discover any problems arising from the conduct of the anesthetic. Complications are reported to the Anesthesiologist and documented for quality improvement. Writes a post-anesthetic evaluation in patient’s record to include date, time, evaluation, and signature.
- May have additional department specific duties as necessary.
Safety: Practices proper safety techniques in accordance with hospital and departmental policies and procedures. Responsible for the reporting of employee/patient/visitor injuries or accidents, or other safety issues to the supervisor and in the occurrence notification system.
Compliance: Monitors and ensures compliance with all regulatory requirements, organizational standards, and policies and procedures related to area of responsibility. Identifies potential risk areas within area of responsibility and supports problem resolution process. Maintains records of compliance activities and reports compliance activities to the Compliance Office.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel so classified.
Bending/Stooping – Occasionally (activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of time)
Climbing – Occasionally (activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of time)
Lifting – Frequently (activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of time)
Pushing/Pulling – Occasionally (activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of time)
Sitting – Occasionally (activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of time)
Standing – Occasionally (activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of time)
Walking – Occasionally (activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of time)
Ability to lift up to 40 lbs independently and greater than 40 lbs with assistance
Hearing/Speaking – Effective communication with employees, supervisors/managers and staff. Effective communications with patients and visitors, as required.
Definite potential for exposure to blood and body fluids
Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta has been 100 percent committed to kids for more than 100 years. A not-for-profit organization, Children’s is dedicated to making kids better today and healthier tomorrow.
With 3 hospitals, 20 neighborhood locations and a total of 673 beds, Children’s is the largest healthcare provider for children in Georgia and one of the largest pediatric clinical care providers in the country. Children’s offers access to more than 60 pediatric specialties and programs and is ranked among the top children’s hospitals in the country by U.S. News & World Report.
Children’s has been recognized as a Fortune 100 Best Place to Work, a Best Place for Working Mothers, and as a top employer for diversity and millennials. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefit package that supports our mission, vision and values. We are proud to offer an array of programs and services to our employees that have distinguished us as a best place to work in the country. Connect to our mission of making kids better today and healthier tomorrow.
Have questions about the recruitment process? Check out What to Expect.
Address: 1001 Johnson Ferry Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30342
Function: Advanced Practice Providers – Anesthetist