Requisition Number: 44938
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Expert resource for issues relating to technical accounting and policy for assigned regions, divisions and corporate functions.
- Collaborate and consult with the business and Corporate, such as division and business controllers, finance managers and directors on a regular basis to ensure awareness of transactions and changes that have a potential accounting impact.
- Lead the implementation of new accounting standards for assigned segments and business divisions.
- Responsible for preparing technical accounting updates to management and the audit committee.
- Participate in updating Company Accounting Policy to appropriately reflect US GAAP requirements and identifying areas of improvement based on accounting consultations handled.
- Responsible for the preparation and review of certain complex footnote disclosures for the Company’s quarterly and annual reporting on Form 10-Q and Form 10-K.
- Provide guidance to business transaction teams (including acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, restructurings, derivatives, and significant sales and leasing agreements) and ensure proper accounting for activities and disclosure.
- Special projects as needed
- Projects can include M&A, divestitures, joint ventures, restructurings, derivatives, and significant sales agreements, technical accounting memorandum, technical accounting training, 10Q and 10K footnotes, division initiatives, and monitoring and implementation of emerging GAAP.
Role within group:
- Provide technical accounting guidance to corporate and businesses functions to ensure significant transactions are properly recorded.
- Provide technical and financial accounting advice to finance teams, corporate management, and project teams evaluating and executing transactions to acquire business enterprises, form joint venture arrangements, divest of businesses in Corning’s portfolio, and providing guidance on revenue recognition, lease accounting, financial instruments and derivatives. This includes exploring structuring alternatives, accounting issues, reporting requirements, and review of contract language.
- Provide consultations to businesses and other functions.
- Responsible for assigned region and divisions ensuring Corning’s compliance with emerging GAAP for changes in requirements. Assess materiality and relevance of emerging GAAP to Corning Incorporated’s consolidated financial statements. Lead technical training for assigned region or other corporate groups and accounting policy updates in new or higher risk areas.
- Interpretation of FASB, SEC, IASB and other regulations and authoritative literature and develop solutions to complex issues.
- Accuracy and completeness of analytical schedules and, where required, reserve analyses.
- Some travel may be required. Amount of travel will be less than 15%
Hours of work/work schedule/flextime:
- 40 hours per week is normal, with quarterly peaks
- 8+ years of combined public accounting and corporate technical accounting experience
- Excellent GAAP & SEC understanding
- BS in Accounting
- Big 4 experience is preferred
- CPA is required
- Ability to develop solutions to complex issues
- Experiences in foreign currency accounting and financial instruments/derivatives are desired
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
- Strength of business partnership
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Team player with strong organizational skills
- Self-starter, “can do” attitude
- High integrity (handling confidential info)
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.