Lumen is guided by our belief that humanity is at its best when technology advances the way we live and work. With 450,000 route fiber miles serving customers in more than 60 countries, we deliver the fastest, most secure global platform for applications and data to help businesses, government and communities deliver amazing experiences. Learn more about Lumen’s network, edge cloud, security and communication and collaboration solutions and our purpose to further human progress through technology at news.lumen.com, LinkedIn: /lumentechnologies, Twitter: @lumentechco, Facebook: /lumentechnologies, Instagram: @lumentechnologies and YouTube: /lumentechnologies.
Responsible for installation, decommissioning and troubleshooting problems of network equipment and circuits. This includes the fiber, transport equipment and all critical infrastructures within. Demonstrates a degree of experience with circuit provisioning, maintenance and testing (DS1/DS3/SONET), test equipment, telecommunication equipment installation and acceptance. Responsible for the outside plant network in a given geographic boundary, including metro and long haul fibers. Supports all Lumen facilities in Chicago and surrounding surburbs.
The Main Responsibilities
- Diagnoses, troubleshoots and repairs customer and network troubles. Removes and replaces defective equipment, tracks spares and ensures repair.
- Performs site surveys and oversees splicing of Metro/Long Haul Outside Plant fibers.
- Monitors route and executes restoration in the event of a service interruption, proactively responds to potential problem areas to ensure integrity of network.
- Installs, provisions, tests, and maintains SONET/Ethernet services, DWDM equipment-(Ciena 6500, Huawei, Infinera, (ALU-1830, AdvaR7), SONET equipment-(Cisco 15454 /15310/15327- ALU DMX OC192/DMXEtend, FT2000), CPE Equipment- (Adva114/150/825, Netvanta924E, Cisco 1941/4331) Signaling, Private Line, and Data Services.
- Responsible for asset management: process deliveries and replenishes consumables. Coordinates shipping and receiving of materials.
- Operates and maintains tools, test sets, OTDRs, T-Berd 2310/310, PRI Tester, EXFO FTB-1/FTB-200 lightwave multiplexing equipment, digital multiplexers, channel banks, circuit termination equipment, AC and DC power equipment, fiber optic cable locating equipment.
- Performs preventive/scheduled maintenance and inspections on equipment and on the critical infrastructure including, but not limited to: HVAC systems, high-voltage electrical systems, DC Power Plants.
- Installations, test and turn up of all circuits at the Chicago Gateway in addition to performing Customer Provided Equipment (CPE) installs in the metro market.
- Receiving and shipping of warehouse materials.
- Site surveys for all customer and NB installs in gateway.
- Orders all consumable materials for installations- Fibers, attenuators, racks, etc.
- Performs 3 Tech escorts, locates, and remote hands at the gateway.
What We Look For in a Candidate
- 2+ years’ experience working of Installation, Test, and Turn-up of a variety of Telecommunication equipment including SONET, DCS, DWDM, Routers and Switches.
- Strong technical and mechanical background with experience on the latest generation transport gear, critical infrastructure (HVAC systems, high-voltage electrical systems, DC Power Plants, etc.), as well as knowledge of locating fiber optic cable, right-of-way, and As-Builts.
- Must have a high degree of experience and/or knowledge of at least two of the four major technician disciplines: Transmission (DS1/DS3/SONET), Switching (circuit-switching/SS7), TCP/IP (routers/higher-layer protocols), and Outside Plant (Fiber locating, OTDR, Mass Fusion Splicing, etc.).
- Some technical evaluation and fundamental judgment is required, while building an internal and external network.
- Must maintain site security and cleanliness.
- Must have PC skills and be well versed in Microsoft Windows and Office applications.
- Ability to quickly learn corporate databases.
- On-call 24×7 on a rotational basis, on stand-by, call out, dispatch, and overtime are required as dictated by the business.
- A valid driver’s license required and satisfactory driving record.
- High School diploma or GED
- Attention to detail with good organizational capabilities
- Ability to prioritize with good time management skills
- Sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl; lift 75 pounds; works in all weather conditions
Based on your job application information you may be given the opportunity to complete a video interview immediately after applying. This will include a set of questions for you to record a response to in addition to Game Challenges. Completion of this video interview is a requirement in order to be considered for our open position. Now not a good time? No worries, we will also send you an email with a link to complete the video interview. We strongly recommend that you complete this within 5 days of your application date.
Requisition #: 247098
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.