BJ’s Wholesale Club was the first retailer to introduce the warehouse club concept in the northeastern United States. Today, we’re a multibillion dollar operation with more than 200 clubs in 17 states from Maine to Florida.
While our Members know us for helping them save up to 25% off grocery prices every day, our Team Members love us for providing a supportive and engaging workplace that’s committed to developing great talent.
If you’re a motivated and enthusiastic person who enjoys working collaboratively and is committed to providing great service for our Members, we want to hear from you. BJ’s offers a fast-paced, team environment with great training opportunities and competitive salary and benefits packages to help you succeed.
Facilities and Property Development Procurement Category Manager
The Procurement Category Manager will develop winning sourcing strategies and execution plans to drive total cost reduction in assigned categories. This person will communicate and champion strategies to C-level and Senior level executives and their teams to gain support to successfully execute projects and deliver results. This person will leverage prior experience in managing facilities and sourcing expertise to conduct extensive research and analysis on market conditions, industry best practices, vendor performance, and BJ’s business to successfully select the best strategic partners for BJ’s business needs.
This person will utilize appropriate negotiation methods to drive cost reductions and increase value to BJ’s. Additionally, they will build strong relationships with the business stakeholders to further extend the influence of the Strategic Sourcing and Procurement team throughout the entire BJ’s Organization. They will take ownership of all assigned projects from start to finish to ensure BJ’s interests are represented at every step and ultimately included in all documents including contracts.
- Based on firsthand facilities experiences, identify opportunities of efficiencies or to drive total cost savings through research and analysis, engagement with key stakeholders, and with direction from the leadership team. Establish benchmarks to quantify savings. Develop sourcing project plans and timelines to set expectations and manage accordingly. If needed, partner with the technical and/or business experts to develop specifications, statements of work, and scorecards. Perform research utilizing market intelligence and other tools to identify qualified vendor options.
- Create “request for X” documents to communicate specifications and procurement practices to the selected vendors. Identify and refine selection criteria with key stakeholders. Capture responses and evaluate to determine which vendors will be eliminated from the process. Hold cross functional meetings with each of the remaining vendors to evaluate their capabilities, utilizing scorecards. Eliminate vendors deemed unacceptable.
- Conduct multiple rounds of negotiations to achieve the best total cost. Perform the final scorecard review and award the business to the vendor with the highest score.
- Ability to support stakeholders with a fast-paced environment in opening new clubs, remodeling, or updating equipment without risking any project delays.
- Work closely with internal commodity team to understand key commodities movements to make purchasing recommendations to internal stakeholders and to negotiate with vendors.
- Lead the negotiation of business terms with the selected vendor ensuring all negotiated items are included, and that all of BJ’s interests are represented in the finished contract, including service levels and success criteria. Quantify savings based on benchmarks and final pricing. Transition vendor management responsibilities to the appropriate division. Recommend Key Performance Indicators / service level metrics to business owners to maximize value for BJ’s.
- Bachelor’s degree in business related field
- 3-5 years facilities management – highly desired
- 3-5 years in a strategic sourcing role
- Outstanding technical skills (PC, Excel, Word, Access, E-Sourcing software, basic Financial Accounting).
- Strong negotiation, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Experience in managing capital spend
- Understanding of total costs associated with procurement. Ability to identify and negotiate based on total cost. Ability to formulate a strategic and effective negotiation and develop and implement effective Requests for Quote/Proposal/Information.
- Ability to cultivate good vendor relations
- Financial and business acumen, strong analytical skills
- Organizational procedures and policy knowledge
- Ability to create and deliver impactful presentations to gain the support of the business stakeholders, senior and c-level executives, and the vendor community.
- Ability to maintain a “positive” attitude when challenging situations arise.
BJ’s Wholesale Club is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all qualified team members and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, physical and/or mental disability, genetic information, atypical cellular or blood trait, marital and/or familial status, pregnancy, gender identity and expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.