Requisition Number: 47056
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science, with a 166-year track record of life-changing inventions. Corning applies its unparalleled expertise in glass science, ceramics science, and optical physics, along with its deep manufacturing and engineering capabilities, to develop category-defining products that transform industries and enhance people’s lives. Corning Valor™ Glass is an example of a life-changing innovation purpose-built to store and protect injectable medicines. Corning is also a global leader in pharmaceutical tubing, manufacturing a variety of clear and amber glass tubing that is converted by our customers into vials, cartridges, ampules and syringes.
Meaningful role where you will provide functional leadership and expertise in Mechanical Engineering that improves product, process and/or equipment performance (cost, quality, and service) and/or advances the innovation process to enable the delivery of new products.
We provide solutions for increased process selects, increased material utilization, decreased costs, and improvement to product quality by planning, prioritizing and implementing projects. We look for you to craft and analyze first generation/next generation products, processes and/or equipment in support of existing and new product/technologies used in manufacturing! Maintain knowledge of the latest developments in their area of expertise in order to identify and detail any intellectual property developed as part of a project. Focus will be on tubular glass converting, high speed discrete part handling and equipment/mechanical design processes.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
Responsible to lead and expand the Converting Equipment Engineering group for Corning Pharmaceutical Technologies (CPT).
- Equipment area of responsibility is tubular glass converting, material handling, annealing, and packaging.
- Support defining the roles needed to deliver equipment capability in converting.
- Building technical proficiency and aligning resources to within the area.
- Provide hands on leadership within the process area and equipment needs.
- We work closely with development and controls teams to turn equipment improvement ideas into reality.
- Develop equipment specifications that address critical needs
- Build relationships with network of equipment suppliers to deliver to specifications.
- Lead team to create and deliver machine specification and troubleshooting documents to plant organizations.
- Foster and drive equipment standardization across plants and process areas where possible.
- Responsible for setting technical direction, including vendor selection, as well as managing project forecast and spend.
- Provide mentorship for design, installation and debug of equipment required for next generation manufacturing. These systems will provide ground-breaking cost reduction programs throughout the division and different process areas!
- Grow converting equipment group to own, manage, and advance industrial equipment designs.
- Provide problem solving and technical expertise, to ensure timely resolution of short-term equipment issues, and higher-level troubleshooting.
- Designs and/or specifies new equipment or modifies existing equipment to continuously improve process performance.
- Responsible for driving both cost and schedule updates on assigned projects.
- Provide specific engineering and manufacturing skills and knowledge (understands theories and fundamentals), and responsible for leading projects to get to root cause of issues and put permanent solutions in place.
- Work with equipment vendors and system fabrication and integration shops to deliver new equipment and capabilities.
- Capable of designing new equipment, fixtures, or systems using SolidWorks software.
- Responsible for tracking and scheduling projects using Microsoft Project scheduling software.
- Coordinates installation, debugging and initial operation of new equipment and systems.
- Manage and lead a group of designers and equipment engineers
- Implement permanent solutions to long term performance issues that improves existing and new technologies.
- Meets all Environmental, Safety and Health requirements.
- Develops SME knowledge of material, process and/or equipment in focused areas of manufacturing or engineering.
Up to 30% of time both within US and Internationally.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
Standard Monday – Friday business hours.
- Off-hours support for equipment – part of rotating team and major break downs
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering
Required Years and Area of Experience:
Minimum of 10+ years of relative experience with equipment design and delivering and supporting systems in manufacturing.
- Minimum of 5+ years management experience.
Experience in equipment design and understanding of design concepts.
- Track record of delivering results and working with outside equipment design and integration firms.
- Broad manufacturing and engineering experiences. Must have familiarity with equipment design and controls.
- Project leadership (scope to implementation) and experience in managing projects including the use of project scheduling tools.
- Project and/or manufacturing financial management knowledge.
Desired Experience / Qualifications / Skills:
Experience with glass processing technology (melting, forming, finishing, coating, etc.)
- Strong preference for understanding of high-speed automated equipment.
- Exposure to contract manufacturing and machinery.
- Ability to design sophisticated systems using SolidWorks CAD.
- Familiarity with FDA and pharmaceutical packaging requirements.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate strong work ethic.
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.