Requisition ID: 37166
Job Category: Environmental
With over six decades of business and technical experience in the mining, energy, and infrastructure sectors, we understand that challenges are changing rapidly in every industry. We respond quickly with solutions that are smarter, more efficient, and innovative. We draw upon our 9,000 staff with experience in over 150 countries to challenge the status quo and create positive change for our clients, our employees, and the communities we serve.
Looking to take the next step in your career? Hatch is currently seeking a highly motivated Environmental Specialist specifically in the Environmental and Social Impact Assessment, Energy and Environmental Management space to join the Environmental group in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Every project has an environmental footprint. Knowledge of our clients’ processes and business helps us seize strategic opportunities and mitigate project risks. Our Environmental Services Group provides our clients with expertise in Climate Change, Environmental Assessment & Management, Noise & Vibration, Social Impact Management, Sustainable Development Design, and Water Resources. If a career rooted in positive environmental change and sustainability inspires you, join our innovative Environmental Services Group today!
As the successful candidate, you will:
- support the team in a diverse range of environmental management areas including licensing and approval applications, environmental and social impact assessment according to prevailing practice
- apply relevant legislation and international lender requirements (e.g., IFC and World Bank)
- contribute to environmental assessments, environmental management strategies, and plans including research and report writing.
- Coordinate work with other environmental specialists, including management of subcontractors.
- Identify business development opportunities.
- Mentor junior staff and encourage their personal development goals; and
- be involved in stakeholder engagement and management, and environmental management
predominantly within the natural resources and renewable energy sectors.
You bring to the role:
- Excellent communications skills and an ability to develop personal networks.
- An ability to work in a multi-disciplinary and integrated team environment.
- Experience working in a fast paced, consulting environment.
- A desire to take on the responsibilities of project management.
- Effective and open communication and presentation style and the ability to plan and deliver high quality reports.
- Ability to work well with internal and external stakeholders.
- A strong track record and good understanding of client and business needs and active interest in the business development process.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A Honour’s Degree in Biology, Environmental Science or equivalent in related discipline. A Post Graduate Degree is preferred.
- Eight years of related experience in a similar role specifically within the energy sector.
- Familiar with and have experience in the South African wind/solar sector REI4P requirements.
- Professional registration (e.g., EAPASA and SACNASP);
- Proven specialist capability in any area of Environmental Science (e.g., biodiversity or social impact assessment) will be preferred.
- Knowledge of environmental legislation.
- Flexibility to travel periodically.
- Experience in Africa is essential; and
- Knowledge of French would be an advantage.
Why join us?
- Develop innovation partnerships
- Think locally, work globally
- Engage with people who make a difference
What we offer you?
- Flexible work environment.
- Long term career development
We are committed to fostering a workforce in each of our locations that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate. Hatch is an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected status. If you have any special needs requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.